• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Resurrection (EA900)

Sorry the pondquarium didn't turn out as hoped, sometimes Nature simply refuses to be tamed! Finding a good home for any livestock & stripping down again shouldn't be as unpleasant as last time. You can then decide on the kind of set up that you really want which will mature & evolve over months & potentially years.

I've not had my mojo for a while because of lots of disruption beyond my control which made the fish something I had to be concerned about and not something to simply relax and enjoy (so not to disimilar to what you went through). I hadn't been to a lfs in over 3 years and only went because my brother wanted some fish. I came back with a little red breast acara, the last one they had who hadn't sold in about 8 months apparently. It started a little burst of interest for me and I now happily sift through all the live food bins just to give it something tasty. Hopefully I can get him a few girls in the future.

It really is hard to beat that cichlid charm so if you miss them just go for it.

I think your spot on if you stop enjoying a set up it's time for change. Why not set up a planted bowl or just planted tank while you plan your next🙂keeps the mojo going
Luckily I do have other tanks to focus on in the meantime, including a little marine bowl :) I was thinking a while ago maybe I could rescape this big tank into a marine one, but realistically I think that's a few years off. And I miss my tropical fish!!

Sorry the pondquarium didn't turn out as hoped, sometimes Nature simply refuses to be tamed! Finding a good home for any livestock & stripping down again shouldn't be as unpleasant as last time. You can then decide on the kind of set up that you really want which will mature & evolve over months & potentially years.
It's ok, I think I just needed a break for a while. It was a really interesting experiment, and I really enjoyed making the structure and the sticklebacks, but I just realised what I love in a tank is that ecosystem feeling of different fish living in a community and picking them right so they all get along. Also I was too late to get the sticklebacks to breed I think which was a shame. I think intellectually it was a cool tank, but then irl it just didn't have that eden vibe I love.

It's DEFINITELY not as bad as last time! The sticklebacks I have found a home for (and a backup in case), and the structure shouldn't be too hard to take apart. No bleaching this time either, and I will keep my filter pretty much the same just a clean.

I'm thinking of starting off with a blackwater + some floating plants, and then thinking about adding some interesting epiphytes and rare moss slowly. I want something really easy which is also great habitat for the fish, and can be evolved over time. I also have a 30cm cube tank in the same room which is in need of a rescape, so that will work great as a quarantine tank too. The only question is, do I use rainwater/RO or tap? Tap is so easy, but this could be a chance to keep some lovely unusual softwater species. There isn't much rain atm either, but could perhaps get a small RO unit.

Last year when I was searching for hardscape for my big tank my dad came across some nice cheap bits of corbo catfish wood and stored them down the allotment, so this weekend I'll get them in and see if I can come up with something interesting with them. I'm hoping I can build a structure with a few emergent bits of wood, that was always my fav. Hmm, maybe can do a dry start with some nice moss on parts of it...

I've not had my mojo for a while because of lots of disruption beyond my control which made the fish something I had to be concerned about and not something to simply relax and enjoy (so not to disimilar to what you went through). I hadn't been to a lfs in over 3 years and only went because my brother wanted some fish. I came back with a little red breast acara, the last one they had who hadn't sold in about 8 months apparently. It started a little burst of interest for me and I now happily sift through all the live food bins just to give it something tasty. Hopefully I can get him a few girls in the future.

It really is hard to beat that cichlid charm so if you miss them just go for it.
It is so awful when all you can do is worry about the fish, so much anxiety and dread, it really takes all the calming joy out. What a lucky little red breast acara that is, I'm so glad they inspired you to return :) Hope you find him some girlfriends soon Honestly the cichlids are just too charming, I've been going to LFS for little bits of marine stuff and always find myself having a look at the apistos longingly. A bit worried that the same grim stuff will happen, but this time will take lots of precautions and do things slowly. I just can't stop thinking about keeping tropical fish again in a nice big tank again!

and then thinking about adding some interesting epiphytes and rare moss slowly.

65rd4pwwau581.png

eyebrows-yup.gif

😂😂😂😂😂 YES

If I’m gonna have moss, it had better be POSH MOSS. I’ll use your tank as a catalog for finding the best species it’s got so many types! 😂

One of the reasons I’ve been thinking more about a rescape is because of unusual ferns. I went to the British Pteridological Society event at Wisley last weekend, and there was a stand with a range of aquatic ferns, with a few unusual ones I haven’t seen before or seen a good example of which was interesting. My dad is a member and I only just realised this year what a massive collection of unusual ferns he keeps in the garden, so I thought it’s a nice idea to continue that with my tank and keep my own. Plus apparently he has a few I could perch above the waterline that would do well… I’m so over keeping emergent plants that greenfly like to eat. Tough plants only in this house ffs

Last edited:
With a title like Resurrections, Life & All That Jazz, I might just keep the tank going tropical again to this journal rather than make a whole new one. What do you think? But could make a new one as this first chapter comes to a close.

I’ve started thinking about what to do with it - all this is hypothetical, you know how I change my mind! Have accepted that I like to change tanks up a bit, so I won’t set up the tank fully immediately, I’ll let it evolve and hope that each stage will look good, and will be relatively easy and low maintenance, plus nice habitats for the fish with lots of enrichment. Starting with only sand, floating plants and big botanicals, then a few weeks or more later when the botanicals fall apart, adding wood that’s quite easily removable for maintenance, maybe with a dry start done in the wood in the meantime, then epiphytic ferns and mosses, a few lilies in a pot of soil hidden behind the wood perhaps (or long grass) Rocks? Idk, they’ll be another layer to add in later maybe. Maybe pebbles and a mix of rounded gravel with the sand in some places. Will start up lowtech, it’s easier for me and the fish. I like the idea of slowly building the whole scape and appreciating each stage. Eventually the goal will be lushness, but I’ll try to spend ages getting there.

I’ll also stagger adding the fish, quarantining a species at a time for 6 weeks or so in the 30cm cube. Will put the first type of fish in straight away and pretreat there though I think. Probably a good school of tetras cos I’m a total cliche at heart 😂 choosing fish is gonna be hard af, so many lovelies.

Last edited:
Alright I'm back, fantastising about all MANY possibilities there are starting from scratch again. I guess I could keep anything! I did think for a bit about having a fabulous Asian community with badis, wild bettas, big school of chilli & tiny blue rasboras, etc but I think the small South American fish are (mostly) gonna win out again.

So far I think -
Pair/trio of apistos - borellii or agasizzii probs. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with what apistos look great at ADC, they have a great selection of apistos in good health. They have some of those insanely blue/orange alenquer agasizii which look almost fake but are stunning. Or if anyone knows of some others around? 👀
Something small and weird - maybe some morpho darter tetras? @Conort2 do you keep these, what are they like? Also how are the green darters?

Main school - I'm thinking green neons, there is a group at ADC that all react to your hands near the tank, schooling all together at the top and it's cool af. My cardinals never schooled and I'd like something that does sometimes, and I think the colour will look great in blackwater.
Niche school - I have been thinking about those threadfin rainbows again. Yeah, they're not South American, but they are so beautifully dramatic in silhouette, I think they would go well. Or maybe an interesting tetra like the yellow silvertips or green jellybeans, anyone kept these?
Maybe maybe maybe - Pencilfish - you'd think I'd be detered, but I loved those pencilfish and I'd like to try them again. Maybe a different species, perhaps Eques. The tank has very fast flow at the top atm, so going to replace a lily pipe with one of those weirdly shaped ones so they can enjoy the top more. NGL if I found a good source for the marginatus I might have to try them again though. Even when it’s a blackwater I’ll be keeping a lot of floating plants and emergent growth to keep them happy.

Corydoras - I loved the pygmies, but I think it's time to try something else, a proper Cory. Proooobably Corydoras Habrosus, maybe Coryodras nannus, or even one of the small Aspidoras that the Fish Barn seem to get in sometimes. ANOTHER option is those lovely little brown darter tetras, which apparently they can get at WoW. Not sure if they would clear the sand, anyone kept them?
Otos - zebras would be nice. Will have to save up, but they are lovely and would love a botanical-heavy tank. Or maybe some other interesting oxyropsis-type that turn up every now and again, whichever I get I want a good group.
A few single weird catfish - any suggestions? Would love to keep another niche catfish like the Red Lizard Whiptail, but mine never seemed to eat much. Farowella too big for this tank? Maybe a few of those tiny stone catfish?

Send me your colourful, cute and slightly strange suggestions!!

Something small and weird - maybe some morpho darter tetras? @Conort2 do you keep these, what are they like? Also how are the green darters?
I do although I’m down to the last few now due to old age. I find them easy to keep, soft water low flow and lots of cover in the form of plants or leaf litter suits them.

Green darters didn’t do great unfortunately. I’m down to one who has been doing great but got attacked by a baby apisto and lost an eye. Since these hunt by vision it’s really affected it and struggles to put away as much food as it used to. I wouldn’t really recommend either species with apistogrammas. Dicrossus maybe at a push but if I’m honest I wouldn’t keep cichlids with these species if I was to keep them again.

Cheers

THB I have the habrosus and they are a bit dull. I much prefer my False Julii, standard size Cory, but with more character. I also have elegans, which I bred quite easily. But I still think it's the Julii that have the most playful behaviour.

I haven't forgotten about this journal, but I've been taking my sweeeeeeeet time working out what to do next. I have finally accepted that I can't keep away and I definitely have to return to my sweet South American fish, but with quite a lot of caution.

This scape has been down for a few months, and about 2 months later than I should've, I finally cleaned it out. It's been empty for a month. I've been gathering twigs and roots for the scape, and planning out possible fish choices a bit more. I even saved up and splurged on a backlight for the tank so I can live my aesthetic dreams.

The thing that's stopping me right now is the winter energy crisis. I'm sort of thinking of setting the tank up after my birthday which is at the end of February, so I can avoid any extra blackout drama this winter, save money and potentially fish lives. I'd hate to have the next lot drop dead on me so soon. What do you guys think, is this me being sensible or overly cautious?

I do although I’m down to the last few now due to old age. I find them easy to keep, soft water low flow and lots of cover in the form of plants or leaf litter suits them.

Green darters didn’t do great unfortunately. I’m down to one who has been doing great but got attacked by a baby apisto and lost an eye. Since these hunt by vision it’s really affected it and struggles to put away as much food as it used to. I wouldn’t really recommend either species with apistogrammas. Dicrossus maybe at a push but if I’m honest I wouldn’t keep cichlids with these species if I was to keep them again.

Cheers
Well the morphos sound like they're still on the list! They'll fit within the tank plans well. Will keep an eye out for some healthy looking ones, all the ones I've seen in the shops before looked a bit dodgy.

That's very sad about the green darters :( I had an intruiging conversation with Dan at Wildwoods about them, he said he kept them a few years ago and that they were very hardy for him, lasted a few years and ate well in his community tank. I'm thinking it's about sourcing really good stock, always difficult but we'll see if I can find something, I think it's worth waiting for great fish this time around. Interesting about your baby apistos, I've never had any attack another fish like that! Was it a baby of those beautiful white apistos you kept?

THB I have the habrosus and they are a bit dull. I much prefer my False Julii, standard size Cory, but with more character. I also have elegans, which I bred quite easily. But I still think it's the Julii that have the most playful behaviour.
That is good to know tbh, best to keep the most interesting fish I can! I'm still umming and erring about any cories at all, but I will keep an eye out for jullii at the shops so I can get a good look at their charming behaviour!

Been thinking about it and f*ck it I want it back! I don’t wanna wait any more 😂 Been assured by a few friends that during blackouts the tanks will be ok for a few hours, and a battery powered airstone on each tank is cheap and with help keep things ticking over. I miss the apistos, and doing maintenance in the winter evenings is a good use of time.

I’ve been using the light from this tank on my new marine, but just ordered some marine lights which comes early this week, so the Twinstar can go back into action on this tank.

It’s gonna be lowtech and I’m gonna take it slow, maybe blackwater style if it stops raining and I can collect some good leaves. Something that fits with my life, and lets me be creative.

That's what I've been moving towards over the last few months, something that fits in with my lifestyle!

Makes it much more enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing what you create.
Yeah exactly, the hobby is meant to be enjoyable and fit in with our lives, rather than become them! Sometimes I do too much and stress myself out, so need to avoid that. It's a nice challenge, cos really if I do it well it won't be a challenge at all.

I went to Aquatic Designe Center today to purchase marine creatures, and they were selling Japanese Nuphar lilies with big fat bulbs and stems, I'm thinking one of them in this easy tank could be a show-piece plant 👀 I really like the idea of blackwater + lilies of various kinds.

Back