• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raccoon tiger behaviour

aec34

I have a little colony of raccoon tigers in a fairly heavily planted small cube (10 litre). I barely saw them, then swapped the light for something dimmer (by chance, needed something USB) and they came out a lot more. Is this coincidence, or do they not like brighter light? I’ve always had floating plants.
They are also much more food driven than my cherries, nipping out to grab food then running away with it (though both go nuts for nettles).
Anyone else keep them and observe these kind of behaviours? They are just a lot less chilled out than my cherry shrimp. Are other caridina species like this?
50A5409B-5133-434D-A825-C0C57126F6C7.jpeg

Pics of 10l?

Most shrimp I've found prefer dim light, probably suits their survival instinct, less likely to be spotted by predators i'd assume

I looked at getting some of these a while ago as they remind me of Caridina cf. breviata, which I had years ago but haven't seen them again since. From what I read these raccoon tigers are a different species to the usual tiger shrimp and they are a fairly new addition to the hobby.
Could it be that they have more of the natural survival instinct than more mass produced species?
This is total speculation but for example the blue, orange eye tiger shrimp colour morphs are supposed to have very poor vision, so presumably they'd be less reclusive in comparison.

Thanks @Aqua360 - this was just going to be a temporary home for a load of epiphytes, but turns out it worked out really well!

@ScareCrow, interesting. They also seem quite a bit bigger than my neos. I don’t think I’ve seen any proper babies either, but there are some tigers in there now which are too small to have not been born in the tank. (And spotted berried shrimp the other day.)

I don’t spend a huge amount of time looking a shrimp videos online, but those I do see mostly keep shrimp in almost bare tanks, and there the behaviours have to be quite different I guess.

I looked at getting some of these a while ago as they remind me of Caridina cf. breviata, which I had years ago but haven't seen them again since.

Funnily enough I was looking at those last week:

They are just a lot less chilled out than my cherry shrimp. Are other caridina species like this?

In my limited experience, yes, some Caridina are a lot more active. I have Tangerine Tigers in a couple of tanks now, and they do frequently fly around the tank like crazy until they settle and start eating for a bit then fly around again. As you say, Neocaridinas are a lot slower and less active by comparison.

Funnily enough I was looking at those last week:

Nice one, they look pretty good and not a bad price for 10. Last time I saw them on eBay I think they were something like £60 for 10. When I had them they had yellow tails and rostrum but might just be the photos. I think they'd come in as bycatch but were beautiful shrimp and much more natural looking.

Back