• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Barrel pond problems

Screwback

Hi all
I've recently started a barrel pond and had the dreaded smelly water I had 2 goldfish in there which died so I started again.
I emptied the barrel cleaned it and used a pond liner again I have started to get smelly water and the next two goldfish died. I have a few plants which seem to be thriving and the water is clear, theres a solar air pump ( which works really well) and a home made solar water fall which only works with sun.
I have no filter and don't plan to get one(un less I can make a solar pump diy one), my question is are there any other fish I can put in which may have a better chance of survival?

Attachments

• 20220806_172817.jpg
    20220806_172817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
How long did you wait to add fish? It needs to be established and well growing to support inhabitants. What size goldfish are you adding? It doesn't look like a very big volume of water - if they are fry e.g. 1" maybe temporary, anything bigger than that and they produce too much waste. Were you feeding them? Did you change water regularly?

I wouldn't have expected live fish to cause smelly water - dead fish, rotting fish food/plants etc. I think anything cause by the fish, e.g. the ammonia they produce would kill them long before you could smell it. You probably need to resolve whatever is causing the poor water conditions before adding anything else to prevent a repeat. I'm surprised you had the same issue after adding the liner.

They was small goldfish by an estimate of how many 40 litre buckets to fill I would say its about 160 litre. I think the smell has got into the wood ....but not sure. The gold fish were three small ones did regular water changes wondering if the extreme heat we had did anything. I sm an experienced fishtail owner but this is the 1st time I've tried outdoor

The barrels seem prone to being smelly. Maybe take a glass of water out and see if it's the water that smells or left over barrel smell? If it's just the barrel hopefully that will wear off and won't be effecting the water quality. Otherwise try sniffing different spots (barrel, planters, sludge at the bottom) and see if you can locate the cause.

There is a thread here on fish for ponds - Fish for patio pond

I've White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but I've been disappointed they are quite shy so rarely seen.

Thanks for that il have a read, I've thought about wc minnows. The 1st time I tried the sludge did stink. The pond is strange though as it doesn't constantly smell it just sort of comes and goes. It could be still establishing itself, this 2nd attempt has been around 6 weeks, its seems from this forum its a common thing

Once the smell is issue is sorted, i'd recommend Chineese Paradise fish Macropodus Ocellatus, they may start off dull and uninspiring but come mid summer show fantastic colours in the fins and will hand feed, a beautiful and interesting fish.

Hi mate I will definitely check those out do you have to overwinter them indoors ?

Depends on how hard the winter is and if there in a sheltered spot, some people have including one of the posters on here.

My advise would be to put a false bottom in the barrel . Raise the substate around 15mm from the bottom and add at least 25mm of gravel add plants. With fish i would go with white cloud mountain fish. if you intend wintering outside they will survive a mild winter. if bringing them in i would trylive bearers probably endlers or platys,
My summer tub is in its first year i have Zebra Danios, WhiteClouds, Odessa barbs and Rainbow shiners. More rainbow shiners will be added as well as some Buenos Airies tetras.

Back