• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Silver Lining - Alex's 96l (Planted)

Re: Alex's 96l low light Iwagumi

I have three tanks in my bedroom - they're not allowed anywhere else! :lol: They're not noisy at all, although when the internal filters get clogged sometimes it can be quite loud.

This promises to be a nice aquascape, can't wait to see what you do with it. ;)

Clarke, you get used to the noise ;)

Thanks Thomas :D

After two and a half hours of rock arranging yesterday, and another half hour this morning, here is my first ever Iwagumi...

DSC03436.jpg

DSC03430.jpg

This is completely different to how I had planned it, so The plants I mentioned will most likely change.

All comments and criticisms welcome, as always :)

Cheers
Alex

I like it, although it's just like a 'clump' of rocks if you get me? Maybe try to space them out a bit more? It's different anyway, and originality is something to strive for nowadays.

I think the planting could stop them being a lump of rocks...though they're a lump of rocks that perhaps look much better in person.

Hi Alex

Looks like a great start :D If it were me I'd be tempted to rotate the tallest rock a few degrees clockwise, and move the right hand rock further to the right to give a little separation to the group, but thats just me, and I'm only going off a flat front view :lol:

Good luck with the planting.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the constructive comments :D

Looking at the tank today, I can see what you guys mean that the rocks need to be more seperated. I'm going to have another play around today, with the rocks and substrate etc.

Cheers
Alex

Right second attempt after another four hours at it this afternoon :D

DSC03447.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

DSC03445.jpg

Comments please :lol:

Cheers
Alex

Such good rocks! I've really liked all of them so far! all have been pretty much perfect for a hair grass/marslia scape! The new ones are my favourite, it's just a mtter of tweaking them once the substrate is in to add extra depth.

Cheers Sam and Gareth :)

I really appreciatte feedback so would love some more comments.

Hi Alex,

Super journal so far mate. Well done!

DSC03445.jpg

Personally, when I'm using rocks I try to make them look as natural as possible. Like they're coming out of the ground and they've been there for thousands of years. This is what nature teaches us, but it's not a rule that you have to follow, of course.

However, with this in mind, I consider the left hand large rock to be a little unnatural looking and at odds with the more natural rocks to the right.

The profile of the left rock does not seem to balance well with others. Do you see what I mean?

You could try and move the large rock around i.e. turn it upside down, back to front etc. etc. Try all conceivable angles.

The largest rock is the most important in Iwagumi, so it's worth spending some time (I know you done so already - sorry!) to get it right.

The the smaller rocks will follow.

I hope that helps and hasn't put too much of a downer on things. If you want to go for a truly original Iwagumi then stick with what you've got.

Keep up the good work! :D

Tonser said:
Looks great Alex :D Maybe a bit too much height difference between the left hand one and the other two, and maybe the right hand 2 are too similar in height. Or maybe not :D

Just my thoughts :lol:

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony.

I may try and build up the naturesoil more around one of the rocks to get more variation in height.

George Farmer said:
Hi Alex,

Super journal so far mate. Well done!

DSC03445.jpg

Personally, when I'm using rocks I try to make them look as natural as possible. Like they're coming out of the ground and they've been there for thousands of years. This is what nature teaches us, but it's not a rule that you have to follow, of course.

However, with this in mind, I consider the left hand large rock to be a little unnatural looking and at odds with the more natural rocks to the right.

The profile of the left rock does not seem to balance well with others. Do you see what I mean?

You could try and move the large rock around i.e. turn it upside down, back to front etc. etc. Try all conceivable angles.

The largest rock is the most important in Iwagumi, so it's worth spending some time (I know you done so already - sorry!) to get it right.

The the smaller rocks will follow.

I hope that helps and hasn't put too much of a downer on things. If you want to go for a truly original Iwagumi then stick with what you've got.

Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks George for the advice :)

I am trying to go for something a bit different, but I can see what you mean about the large rock. I will have another play around this week and perhaps try some different rocks, and try the large one in differnet positions.

Thanks for the helpful post :D

Cheers
Alex

Can I throw a spanner in the works, Alex - and George?

While I can understand exactly what George is driving at, I've been wondering if there is scope for less 'typical' rockscapes. While what Alex has come up with is not commonplace in nature, there are precedents for it:
brimham_rocks.jpg

That's Brimham Rocks; this is Rough Tor:
Rough%20Tor.JPG

Then there's Norber erratic:
MI38norbererratic480.JPG

These are all daft, 'unnatural' rock formations - but I'm sure plenty of us know of plenty more.

While nature doesn't give us these bizarre arrangements routinely, they're not THAT unusual.

Just a thought :wideyed:

I love all of those wild examples. When I used to do railway modeling there was a saying that went "nothing is every wrong, there's always going to be a prototype for something, no matter how far fetched you think it is". This is exactly what you did here. ;) :lol:

Personally I love the rock work as you've got it. Different and interesting. It looks 'natural' to me, esp now you've shown us the photos of the landscape that's inspired it.

Stick with it I say! Its your tank, do want you want with it! There is no wrong way of doing it, so long as its want you want :)

Sam

Back