• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking advice for 2 tanks

FrozenShivers

Hello, my original 25l tank has now been switch for a 60x30x30 (54l) tank. It's currently only got 5 red cherry shrimp and 6 least killiefish as well as some MTS. Apart from the shrimp/fish breeding, I'm guessing there's not much I could put in there that wouldn't eat the shrimp or the fish apart from otocinclus, any ideas are welcome if not I'll hope for some breeding action :)

My second aquarium is just finishing its cycle, it's a 60x35x35 (75l) tank. Any stocking ideas would be appreciated...if I could get a school of pymy cory or corydoras habrosus that would be great.I'd rather have lots of little fish than a couple of larger fish (although I'd be happy to have a centrepiece fish).

Thanks.

Last edited:
The least killis will multiply if you have any females and although I know they will take shrimplets, if you have plenty of cover, the population of shrimps should do well.

The pygmy cories would be a great little fish to go for in the other tank and think about a few dither fish to help bring them out. A bit of a classic mix is ember tetras or chilli rasboras but I'm quite partial to a hengli rasbora myself, although they can be a little shy.

The least killis will multiply if you have any females and although I know they will take shrimplets, if you have plenty of cover, the population of shrimps should do well.

The pygmy cories would be a great little fish to go for in the other tank and think about a few dither fish to help bring them out. A bit of a classic mix is ember tetras or chilli rasboras but I'm quite partial to a hengli rasbora myself, although they can be a little shy.

I've spotted at least one female who doesn't have the little probe thing underneath her (and the males like to chase) so I'm expecting there will be babies in the near future, I'm also going to scape the tank some as at the moment it's just cobbled together with some rock & twigs randomly and I'll be ensuring there's lots more plants and places for them to hide than currently. I didn't think about putting the pygmy cories in the other tank that's a good idea! I'll look into the fish you mentioned thanks for your input.

Hi all,
My second aquarium is just finishing its cycle, it's a 60x35x35 (75l) tank. Any stocking ideas would be appreciated...if I could get a school of pymy cory or corydoras habrosus that would be great.I'd rather have lots of little fish than a couple of larger fish (although I'd be happy to have a centrepiece fish).
I'm a small <"Corydoras spp. fan">.

What do the tanks look like? Can we have a FTS? The only reason is that ideally I'd want to introduce either species of small Corydoras into a tank that had had <"time to biologically mature">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I'm a small <"Corydoras spp. fan">.

What do the tanks look like? Can we have a FTS? The only reason is that ideally I'd want to introduce either species of small Corydoras into a tank that had had <"time to biologically mature">.

cheers Darrel

I've just taken a photo of each tank for you. Both having some tidying up incoming soon :)

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6446.jpg
    IMG_6446.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6447.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 145
Hello, my original 25l tank has now been switch for a 60x30x30 (54l) tank. It's currently only got 5 red cherry shrimp and 6 least killiefish as well as some MTS. Apart from the shrimp/fish breeding, I'm guessing there's not much I could put in there that wouldn't eat the shrimp or the fish apart from otocinclus, any ideas are welcome if not I'll hope for some breeding action :)
It's a bit small for otos really - they tend to sit quietly a lot of time, but when they get the urge to swim they are very speedy so need a bit of length. Probably best leaving space for the shrimp/killie to multiply. If they multiply out of hand you could pop a scarlet badis in, they are too dinky to take adult/half grown shrimp/fish but would keep the fry down.

Thanks.
Corys are great fish, lovely to watch. There are a massive range of nano sized fish available now so have a look and see what catches you eye. I like a group of small over a big fish too.

I can't ID the substrate, but cories like sand, indeed I think they NEED sand. They feed it though their gills when they eat.

It's a bit small for otos really - they tend to sit quietly a lot of time, but when they get the urge to swim they are very speedy so need a bit of length. Probably best leaving space for the shrimp/killie to multiply. If they multiply out of hand you could pop a scarlet badis in, they are too dinky to take adult/half grown shrimp/fish but would keep the fry down.

Corys are great fish, lovely to watch. There are a massive range of nano sized fish available now so have a look and see what catches you eye. I like a group of small over a big fish too.

sounds like good advice, I have followed it and left the other tank alone and hopefully just let it breed out some as it's understocked. I have added 8 pygmy cory and 10 ember tetra's, I have no put the lights off to lower their stress levels and can already see they're starting to swim around and school up now which is awesome! Only other species I'd like to add is maybe a centrepiece fish like a honey gourami, but I'll let these guys settle for a week or two before doing that.

Excuse the crap photos...

I can't ID the substrate, but cories like sand, indeed I think they NEED sand. They feed it though their gills when they eat.

It's Unipac Limpopo sand :)

Attachments

• IMG_6451.jpg
    IMG_6451.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6461.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 124
Hi all,
I've just taken a photo of each tank for you. Both having some tidying up incoming soon :)
Actually less tidy, rather than more tidy, for me.

The reason is that they are bit open and I would want some more plants, moss and <"structural leaf litter"> before I added any small fish, and particularly <"sensitive"> ones like Corydoras pygmaeus or Otocinclus spp.
It's Unipac Limpopo sand
Should be fine. Corydoras pygmaeus don't sift sand like the larger species, although they will shuffle around in the leaf litter or any mulm.

Should have said that I agree with @AlecF and <"finer sand is better"> for most Corydoras spp.

Edit: Having said that they look happy enough in your last post.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Actually less tidy, rather than more tidy, for me.

The reason is that they are bit open and I would want some more plants, moss and <"structural leaf litter"> before I added any small fish, and particularly <"sensitive"> ones like Corydoras pygmaeus or Otocinclus spp.

Should be fine. Corydoras pygmaeus don't sift sand like the larger species, although they will shuffle around in the leaf litter or any mulm.

Should have said that I agree with @AlecF and <"finer sand is better"> for most Corydoras spp.

Edit: Having said that they look happy enough in your last post.

Cheers Darrel

Both tanks are going to have some more plants added :)

Embers are a great choice. I'd add even more.

Thank you, I'm really liking them! Not sure how many I could have in this tank.

Thanks for all the input folks, I've uploaded a short video to you show you the fish in action.

Argh.. just home from work and it looks like 1 of the ember tetra's has ich, never dealt with anything like this before, is there a best treatment to buy for it? I've read that bumping the temperature up to 30 degrees can help? Tank is at 23 degrees at the moment so I'm worried about doing that as it seems like a large jump, any thoughts please?

Back