• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Medium sized fish that don’t die?!

PM

Hi all,

After many years of having various tanks from 50 - 60 litres, I am planning to upgrade to the biggest tank I can house which will be 120 litres (100x40x30H cm).

I will sit about 3 metres away from the tank so want some fish I can actually see in there, as much as I love nano fish.

In the past I have tried German blue rams, honey gouramis, and dwarf neon rainbow fish. All of them died after not very long. It’s saddening watching them decline when you do everything you can to make them thrive.

What fish are around this size that would work for a nice community tank that will actually live a long time?

Last edited:
I’m not sure how many of these fish you have kept in your previous 50-60ltr tanks but even a couple of Gourami or GBR would be on the edge in that size tank and your new, much larger planned tank is only just big enough for Dwarf Neon Rainbows.

Whilst there are some notable genetic issues out there that may be best avoided (GBR can be an example of that) I think the most important thing is to do thorough research on any fish that you may wish to keep and then make choices that best suit the set up you plan to create.

Some more info on your water parameters and set up plans may help people offer some suggestions.

120 litres (100x400x300H cm).
I assume you meant 100x40x30 else that would equate to a 12,000 liters tank 😅

In the past I have tried German blue rams, honey gouramis, and dwarf neon rainbow fish. All of them died after not very long. It’s saddening watching them decline when you do everything you can to make them thrive.
What fish are around this size that would work for a nice community tank that will actually live a long time?
Honestly considering the tank size you are looking for, those would probably be the max size type of fish I'd go for. It will also depend how many fish you are going to add, but also if you are planning to add plants and hardscape. Reason being that they will take real estate and you need to factor that since plants and fish will compete for space.
Perhaps beta fish is also an option? Although in a community tank they might not appreciate it that much.

It’s saddening watching them decline when you do everything you can to make them thrive.

I understand your feeling but their optimum lifespan is usually highly dependent on the caretake, unless the fish has a genetic disorder of some sort or it was already old at the time of purchase. If all your fish died perhaps it might be a good idea to reflect on why that happened and research fish > their preferred parameters > tank size. As a rule of thumb, when looking at fish websites where they recommend a certain tank size, I will always add up 20% to that at least. More space is always better for your fish. Less not so much.

I have a 160L tank. I used to have Pearl gouramis and in my opinion I think they are too big for that tank size specially when you have hardscape and bushy plants and you need to account that they prefer being in a group (1 male and 2-3 females - harem style). Interestingly some websites advise tanks of 80L or so for that fish. Not convinced about that at all.

Last edited:
Black Phantoms my favourite fish …

Active, striking, and in the correct environment deep black and turquoise … but please get the water right first before any fish … They love heavily planted tank …

I have a 106L with 3 peacock goby. Are they M? They are slow swimmers and lurkers and seem fine for that size of tank. If you wanted gourami then sparkling would work, but they aren't M. I also have Bristlenose Pleco. That's on the edge of being too large, but its habits are to scuttle, not to swim. Some of this comes down to behaviour. More active swimmers need a larger sized tank.

Soft or hard water? Some male guppies or platties might be a good option. They are tough fish, medium size and their colours will make them stand out from a distance.

Hi all,
It is horrible watching a fish decline, but I wouldn't beat yourself up. Unfortunately they <"are all fish"> with a <"number of health problems">. I'm a <"Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) fan">, but there is now no way I would buy them from a shop.
Black Phantoms my favourite fish …
They are nice. Most medium sized Tetras would be good. I like <"Black-Neon Tetra">, but Pristella, Lemon, Emperor etc would all do. I'd keep away from Neon Tetra, for the same reasons as the Rams etc.

If you have very hard water (like the tap water in London) I might be tempted by Barbs, they aren't fish I've kept in recent years, but there are a range of <"species in various sizes">. Other members @castle ? will be able to advise you.

If you like Corydoras catfish? Then <"Corydoras panda is a good one">, relatively cheap to buy and doesn't mind hard water.

cheers Darrel

If you have very hard water (like the tap water in London) I might be tempted by Barbs, they aren't fish I've kept in recent years, but there are a range of <"species in various sizes">. Other members @castle ? will be able to advise you.
Darrells suggestion is a great one, barbs are extremely robust and rarely suffer with any ailments.

Odessa, black ruby and cherry have done great for me in the past. Ignore their colours in your lfs, once they settle in the males are stunning.

Cheers

I’m not sure it’s the fishes fault they’ve died, don’t see that I’m saying it’s your fault either but there must be more to it. I would say most of the bigger gouramis we see for sale are hard water happy, so it may not be the waters’ fault. Your tanks were also on the small side, and I don’t know what else you’ve had in them, maintenance schedule etc. if you’re looking at a community tank, what other fish do you already have?

What fish have you kept that did well? As in lived for months, but more like years?

Are the plants or the fish the most important aspect of keeping an aquarium to you?

I’m sure your aquarium can be a success, but with anything good, it takes time and practice ☺️

I had a 200L tank with 25 tiger barbs, was probably one of the nicest tanks I had. Was more striking at distance than up close.
People put them in small groups, and in communities, where they seem to nip and get aggressive, but in a big group, on their own, they were great!
I think an active shoal of fish around that size works better at distance than a couple of 5" fish, also works better than having a few smaller groups if small fish.

Back