• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Reactor - pictures, assembly and testing

Ed Seeley said:
BTW all of you waiting I am waiting on the tees and new bleed valves but will have them done by the end of the Easter holiday.
Woot! Cheers for all your hard work on these Ed.
LondonDragon said:
No rush on my part Ed, looks like I won't be able to use it just yet anyway, since I don't think my 2224 has enough flow to cope with an external reactor. :arghh: :arghh:
Don't say that, I'm planning on running mine on an eheim 2215

Hihi,

Happy easter and mayday.

Any updates?

Best Regards,

John

Very slow going at the moment. My supplier of tees and valves has fallen through and as it's my class's SATs tests in a week I haven't got much time to sort it at the moment. I'm thinking of possibly DIYing a tee with an airline connector and bleed valve all in one that will sit above the reactor separate from it instead of fitting a bleed valve in the reactor. I think it will work much better. Once I get time I'll try and show you what I mean so you guys can decide.

I'm still with you Ed. When you get it sorted I'll have one.

I know what you mean about this time of year and exams. My wife is out most nights moderating Drama at A/AS (something like that, so she tells me) :rolleyes:

As I've said all along: I'm in no rush.

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but what is the best way to actually inject the CO2, i.e. what kind of part? Gonna have a stab at building one myself once college finishes up next week and this is the only part I'm unsure of. If anyone else has built their own, what did you use?

Hey Ed,

How're these coming along, are you on holidays yet with some spare time? :)

No Hurry, just didn't want them to get forgotten :)

Hi guy long time no pst, been lurkin' a bit though.
Just wondering how this little Massive project is coming along, as I've been intrigued from the start.

I think I need something like this for my 400l, as the POS diffuser I have is not up to task I think. One of those aquamedic things.

Ta muchly.
Ivan.

Still trying to find a suitable alternative for the bleed valve and CO2 injection. Think I have an option but I'm so busy until November I have no time to sort it. I will try and give some more details later tonight once I've done my work if I have time.

BINKSY1973 said:
Ed Seeley said:
Still trying to find a suitable alternative for the bleed valve and CO2 injection

How about one of these for the CO2 Injection second item down. 22mm tee with a 5mm branch, they also got a 16mm one, and a 12mm one.

http://www.fantasea.co.uk/acatalog/Piping_and_Accessories2.html

Cheers Gordon.

This is what I was going to use but I've been told that they aren't importing these into the country any more! Will e-mail that company, thanks.

I want to replace my diffuser with an external reactor so found the DIY versions by Ed and Behold very useful. I think I'll be brave (foolish??) and try the e-bay acrylic tube with PVC fittings using araldite as I'm not buying 5m of clear PVC tube.

From reading this topic the last remaining issue seems to be finding a bleed valve that doesn't leak. I've spent a few nights searching the web and it isn't easy. What I'm looking for is similar to the valve Ed found to leak or an inline valve similar to that on this Aquamas reactor, but preferably with hose barbs on each side.
Aquamas
So theres a challange for you; can you find a valve to go in a bleed line?
I've been trying to think of where such things may be used such as medical IV drips or fuel lines on RC planes but no luck.

One option is a barbed connector with a short length of tube and use a air line "G clamp" to double over and seal. Crude but at least and option.

Another is to use a hydraulic shut off valve but they're a bit big and heavy:
valve
Also these are BSPP (parallel threads) so need dowty washer to seal. I've only seen barbed hose ends with BSP (tapered) so an adapter would be needed.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

B4M

what type of connected was used on the water pipe? just a straight one then silicone to seal the hole?

thank you

Back