• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquaponics, it is analogous our fish tanks, but there are still differences

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I'm going to try and find some "ammonia oxidising microbes in drinking water references", but so far I haven't found any sand filter etc. references <"Metagenomic profiling of ammonia- and methane-oxidizing microorganisms in two sequential rapid sand filters"> that include pre-treatment with plants. When / if I find some I'll add them into this thread.

The problem with the waste water and <"aquaponics ones"> are that you are still dealing with water that is much more nutrient rich than even the most dedicated follower of EI is ever going to have (table below), and the fish loads are in <"Aquarium Science territory">.

Figure from <"Nitrogen transformations across compartments of an aquaponic system">
aquaponics_paper-png.198669

aquaponics_paper1-png.198670

Lianna Poghosyan, Hanna Koch, Jeroen Frank, Maartje A.H.J. van Kessel, Geert Cremers, Theo van Alen, Mike S.M. Jetten, Huub J.M. Op den Camp, Sebastian Lücker, (2020) "Metagenomic profiling of ammonia- and methane-oxidizing microorganisms in two sequential rapid sand filters",
Water Research, 185,

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back