• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White Algae ID

Myrtle

Whatever this one is, it's quite attractive (at least at this size!) but I'm struggling to get a fix on it.
The tank is a low tech nano, not very old and contains 3 juvenile B. imbellis. There are a lot of fast growing plants as well as this Java fern.
I'm not terribly fussed by it but I hate having unidentified lifeforms!
20230113_190238.jpg

I've never seen this before. But it's an interesting one... Its hard to get a sense of scale from the picture btw... it almost looks like a root system... I think there are white hair algae's but can't say if this is it. Cant wait to hear what others have to say.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Everyone,

I guess the link I provided above came as no surprise to people. I do believe that I may have mentioned this elsewhere on UKAPS.

JPC
Admittedly, a lot of it went over my head! I meant to go back and re-read it and promptly forgot, sorry. Now I have though and, as you say, it isn't surprising, but this part caught my attention "Also, we posit that aquaria may serve as an unintentional ex situ conservation site for freshwater red algae that are vulnerable to water pollution due to anthropogenic disturbances.". It hadn't even crossed my mind that algae could be threatened in any way!

Back