• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boyu CO2 diffuser - so far so good...

HK seem to take a good fortnight to get stuff to the UK from the few things I've ordered so far.

can you fill me in on these please, because i have seen a couple of pictures on ebay, and i am a bit confused.. is this totally in line, or do you have to attatch it to the end of the filter hose, and then put it in the tank?

is it suitable for me to buy one for my 125 litre tank, with 16mm tetratec1200 connections???

thanks

It can go inline outside or inside the tank. Mine is outside, connected into the tube then returns water to the tank from the filter.

forgot to ask, does it slow down the flow rate of the filter, becuase i will already have a hydor heater in there, its probably best if i get an in-tank diffuser if the boyu slows it down

?

My ex1200 is running the diffuser and external heater and it seems fine, though I do use a Koralia 1 in the tank for circulation as well.

do you think it slows it down though? becuase the reason for getting an in-line diffuser would be to de-clutter the tank, but theres no point if i would need a powerhead(just my opinion, dont take it to heart)

thanks

Well of course it will slow it down to a degree, as to how much I honestly couldn't tell you but I don't think it's hugely restrictive as the surface movement from the spraybar is still good and that's running 4 sections of pipe rather than the usual 3. The Koralia is in there to take care of any dead spots the spraybar doesn't cover, you can't have too much flow imo!

Personally I didn't see any impact on flow on my 13mm piping - the diffuser is completely straight through, but perhaps on a 16mm pipe it might offer some reduction on diameter so might impact the flow.

It will reduce flow for any piping. The internal entry and exit is 8mm if I remember correctly therefore with it being a smaller diameter than the hose that goes over it flow reduction occurs. Same as anything that you put inline.

Unless the entry/exit and internal diameter is equal to or greater than the hose you are using you will get some reduction.

How much is the old 'piece of string' question though :)

AC

yeah, i spose it is like how longs a piece of sting.. i will think about it, but if i had an in-tank diffuser, i was wondering if this would work:

lily pipe inflow on left hand side pointing to right hand side, then drop checker and c02 diffuser on right hand side, and then the lily pipe outflow(into filter) in the back rear left hand side... if you dont know what i mean, just say and i will make a little pic in paint :) would that be ok? or if not, whats the best arrangement of filtet inlets, outlets, diffusers and so on???

thanks

hi,
i've been slightly experimenting with this for 6 weeks or so on my 30 liter nano. to begin with for a couple of weeks i had it in the tank on the inflow into a ecco pro 130 (12/16mm) whereby the co2 was completely dissolved at roughly 1 bubble/second. after this i put it inline on the outflow from the filter where co2 bubbles are visibly ejected from the spraybar, i wouldn't call it a fine mist though. i have noticed no differnce in plant growth either way and perhaps need to test for a longer period. incidently, i don't think there is any point cutting the hosetails down as internal diameter (9mm)of these appear to extend the length to the diffuser body itself, and would probably slow down flow rate on a 16mm filter.
whatever for the price they are well worth the money (dennerle charge 45 quid for a very similar piece of kit), even if its just kicking around as a spare incase one of those precious glass one get's broken!
cheers,
bazz!

Just received mine in the post so not had a chance to set it up, but wanted to say that due to the tapered connectors it has it looks like it'll fit both 12/16mm and 16/22mm diameter filter tubing, which is a bonus.

As Im running 16/22mm pipes think I'll cut some of the end off so the water isn't being forced through a 12mm hole.

HTH

Sam

Themuleous said:
As Im running 16/22mm pipes think I'll cut some of the end off so the water isn't being forced through a 12mm hole.

Dont think its makes a difference. When I looked down it before fitting it looked like it was the same bore all the way. I've had mine fitted for a week and it seems very good. Cant say if has reduced flow, as it was fitted to a new filter.

I've seen a similar product from another supplier which is built specifically for which ever size tubing you have. Has little bolts like the hydor ETH to keep the hose on firmly. Unfortunatleyt its not available over here, or on ebay.

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_dm-co2-big.jpg

Dave

For the sake of a fiver 'possibly wasted' if you have a steady hand you could use a 12mm drill bit and widen the 8mm inner diameter ;)

Or you could pay me to do it :lol: I have 2 for sale which are currently the standard 8mm (I think) standard untouched diameter.

AC

dsandson said:
Themuleous said:

Dont think its makes a difference. When I looked down it before fitting it looked like it was the same bore all the way. I've had mine fitted for a week and it seems very good. Cant say if has reduced flow, as it was fitted to a new filter.

I've seen a similar product from another supplier which is built specifically for which ever size tubing you have. Has little bolts like the hydor ETH to keep the hose on firmly. Unfortunatleyt its not available over here, or on ebay.

http://www.up-aqua.com/00-dm-page/00up_dm-co2-big.jpg

Dave

Good point :)

The link didn't work?

Sam

SuperColey1 said:
I have 2 for sale which are currently the standard 8mm (I think) standard untouched diameter.

AC

how much do you want for them?
been umming and arring about getting one.

cheers dave

Just hooked mine up, nosier than i had expected, with the bubbles going into the water, that could be because its on my 3000lph powerhead, so might try it on the filter. Also had a bit of trouble putting the co2 tubing on the intake connector and it still doesn't look all that secure but its going OK so far.

Sam

Themuleous said:
The link didn't work?

Hmm... worked for me. Try this... http://www.up-aqua.com/index.htm and its top row and click on the middle pic. Wouldnt mind one of these in the 16/22mm size so I could move the boyu onto my 60l.

Themuleous said:
Just hooked mine up, nosier than i had expected, with the bubbles going into the water, that could be because its on my 3000lph powerhead, so might try it on the filter. Also had a bit of trouble putting the co2 tubing on the intake connector and it still doesn't look all that secure but its going OK so far.

I thought the same. Had read something about putting a jumper around a noisy external filter to dampen the noise, so wraped a tea towel around it and I can barely hear it now. Great!

I agree about the co2 connector, but just used some of the stiffer AE clear co2 pipe and its staying, touch wood!

Dave

Back