• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rasbora brigittae

Nick16

are these really shy fish? i have 6 in my 240L with 2 black neons, 2 normal neons, 2 small SAE's, a small BN and various shrimp. All they seem to do is hide behind one of my spraybars and in the back corners. i only have 6 of them and i think they are all females. my questions are

1) if i get some males, will these fish be inclined to come out as they will have male leaders
2) if i get more will they come out as its safety in numbers
3) are the larger fish scaring them?
4) could it be that the flow is too strong (i doubt this and i cant have it any weaker due to co2 etc(1x EX700 1xEX1200 on a 4ft tank))

i dont want to get more to make a large shoal if they will just hide in the corners. as its boring and they are not cheap fish for their size!

I doubt it's because of flow, if anything you don't have enough so you can rule that out.

I'm not sure about 'coming out because of male leaders' because I'm not sure the heirachy (if there even is one) works like that with Rasboras but I think the best thing you could do is at least double the shoal - they are tiny fish and six isn't a lot at all, especially in such a large tank. This will probably make them a lot more confident with the safety in numbers idea.

yeah, although the algae eaters are harmless to them, i guess it may take a while for them to realise.

as for the 4 neons in there, they were just to keep the filters 'ticking over'. however, i thought that a couple of slightly larger fish (the neons) would marshall the R.B's and keep the in check so to speak. stop them from scattering and make them become more of a shoal.
i guess i will increase the numbers. i might put in an order for another 25.

I got 12 in my 260l and they are very shy despite being overgrown with lots of surface stuff. They are really pretty and colour up well, mine nip out at feeding time. They share with embers wich are not much bigger and I have 30 of those but this doesn't seem to encourage them out ?

TGM have about 100 in one of their tanks and they are very bold, swarming for food all the time. I think just increasing numbers is all thats needed.

T

I've got 7 r.maculatus in my 15-gallon and they're very danio like in their behaviour. Not shy at all and very intelligent r.e. knowing when they're going to be fed etc. Could be the shoal size in your larger tank though?

Back