• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hort agronomist - just joined

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Hands up everyone who also had to Google "agronomist"!

I did, because I wasn't completely sure... turns out its an expert in the science of soil management and crop production.

Quick question: What soil should I use if I wish to grow tomatoes in my aquarium? :lol: ... just kidding, warm welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
Jersey, Channel Islands. 20+ years dealing with tomatoes and cucumbers etc
Marty @foxfish is a fellow Channel Islander (Guernsey in his case) and a <"former commercial Tomato grower">. I was a nurseryman for <"a couple of years"> and then did some <"research into peat alternatives"> in the production of Hardy Ornamental Nursery Stock. I think @ElleDee also does <"something horticultural"> in the USA.
now venturing out into aquatic horticulture
Via looking at sourcing micronutrients for EI system - i work in commercial horticulture and was amazed at prices for grams of fertiliser compounds when we buy in kilogrammes.
Professionally or just as an amateur? We've had a few discussions <"about possible products">, some <"more serious"> <"than others">.

If you are interested in <"investing in a product">? I may have <"an opportunity for you"> and one where you could get in at the bottom of the market;).

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrel. Yup as a professional, I originally qualified as a plant pathologist but have also been on the BASIS and FACTS professional registers since 2000 and have the Harper Adams agronomy diploma. I don't know Marty TBH - Guernsey had loads of tom growers when that industry was running. Thanks for the 'opportunity' links - I'll have a read!! Steve.

Hi Steve, in fact I was involved in quite a few glasshouse crops but mainly growing Koi carp and water hyacinth at the Grand Marias Koi Farm but we closed in the early 2000s.
The koi farm went the same way as the tomato industry in that we could not compete with the warmer countries!

Ah that's well cool Marty. I don't recall anyone here going down the aquatic hort route - once the tomato industry went pop (same as you guys) the local growers concentrated on peppers, aubergines, cuc's etc. Tell you what though, there's tons of talented folk here who could grow all and sundry - emphasis now is on the medicinal 'erbs but if there was a market (and reasonable profits a la holland) to grow aquatic plants for hobbyists the infrastructure is all here. I need to start learning stuff about aquatic plants i reckon!!!

Back