• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Electricity energy costs

That's pretty sad, especially considering the shortages and current prices of energy.
It is. We wouldn’t be without our log burner in the evenings, although I read an article recently where they’d worked out that burning wood was more expensive as it only heated one room and the price of wood has also increased by 60%.

It is. We wouldn’t be without our log burner in the evenings, although I read an article recently where they’d worked out that burning wood was more expensive as it only heated one room and the price of wood has also increased by 60%.
Sounds like disinformation made by climate activists to me. As a child my entire multilevel house was heated with a single wood stove for several years. As for price, wood costs little more then a small tank of chainsaw fuel and some elbow grease, here anyway(there are millions of cords of deadfall and standing dead everywhere). It is far, far cheaper then any other way to make heat. But, energy companies don't make any money off of it, the government makes little tax, and the climate extremists have been tricked into thinking firewood kills baby dolphins...

Sounds like disinformation made by climate activists to me. As a child my entire multilevel house was heated with a single wood stove for several years. As for price, wood costs little more then a small tank of chainsaw fuel and some elbow grease, here anyway(millions of cords of dead fall everywhere). It is far, far cheaper then any other way to make heat. But, energy companies don't make any money off of it and the climate extremists have been tricked into thinking firewood kills baby dolphins...
If everyone in the UK reverted to open fires and log burners and collected their own firewood, we'd have no trees left! The UK is far more densely populated with far fewer areas of woodland than Canada.

I swear that 5 dogs and several fish tanks costs more than having kids though!
Yes, you might be right lol. I only have 1 dog and 4 fish tanks but, I always try and do the best for my animals so man it can get pricey. I think my dog and tank inhabitants may get fed better then me😂.

I guess this is Capitalism at it's worst.
I am totally with you @Myrtle...

If it would just be capitalism... but its not:

"Within a capitalist economy, a key factor that inherently curbs greedy business practices is competition. When there are many competitors within an industry, businesses must work to generate a quality product, maintain low production costs and charge reasonable prices to compete for customers."

When you loose healthy competition all that remain is greed.

Around here where I live (granted, a bit rural) you realistically have 1 choices for cable, 1 choice for internet, 1 choice for gas and electricity... unless you want to become a Doomsday Prepper (yes, I am in the United States :lol:) ... Yes, at the grocery store you seemingly still have choices until you realize that 80% of the goods you buy is ultimately provided by a couple of massive conglomerates that owns and control all the brands etc. it permeates all the way down the supply chain.

The so-called post pandemic inflation is a great example. This was the biggest opportunity in years for many of these companies (already very profitable) to jack up prices far beyond what was reasonable - to a large extent for no apparent reason - other than greed.

How about just tax the crap out of these big companies for every dime they made in excess of their 2019 FY profits and send that money back to the tax payers or improve infrastructure, education and healthcare ? well, I should probably go feed my fish now.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
This was the biggest opportunity in years for many of these companies to jack up prices far beyond what was reasonable - to a large extent for no apparent reason - other than greed.
It honestly disgusts me, especially when the goods in question are human necessities (i.e housing, heating, food etc). I'd be willing to bet there's a fair bit of profiteering going around too. We aren't in a "cost of living crisis", we're in a "corporate greed crisis".

It honestly disgusts me, especially when the goods in question are human necessities (i.e housing, heating, food etc). I'd be willing to bet there's a fair bit of profiteering going around too. We aren't in a "cost of living crisis", we're in a "corporate greed crisis".
We can't even just blame the Tories (without turning this into a political argument lol) as the other parties are just as bad (well, almost - though the Tories have raised the bar this time around!).
In years gone by, super rich folk would build public libraries and the suchlike; now they just squirrel it all away avoiding tax (as they can afford private healthcare so why pay tax to fund the nhs) or waste it on stupid races to get into space, which is little more than an adult version of who can get their piss the highest.
I'm burying my head in the sand again now and hoping it all goes away 🦩. Yes, that's a flamingo; I couldn't find an ostrich!

"Within a capitalist economy, a key factor that inherently curbs greedy business practices is competition. When there are many competitors within an industry, businesses must work to generate a quality product, maintain low production costs and charge reasonable prices to compete for customers."

Around here where I live (granted, a bit rural) you realistically have 1 choices for cable, 1 choice for internet, 1 choice for gas and electricity... unless you want to become a Doomsday Prepper (yes, I am in the United States :lol:) ... Yes, at the grocery store you seemingly still have choices until you realize that 80% of the goods you buy is ultimately provided by a couple of massive conglomerates that owns and control all the brands etc. it permeates all the way down the supply chain.

The so-called post pandemic inflation is a great example. This was the biggest opportunity in years for many of these companies (already very profitable) to jack up prices far beyond what was reasonable - to a large extent for no apparent reason - other than greed.

How about just tax the crap out of these big companies for every dime they made in excess of their 2019 FY profits and send that money back to the tax payers? well, I should probably go feed my fish now.

Cheers,
Michael
Because they're not the only ones profiting. Most of the politicians are also getting some of these profits as shareholders so if it doesn't benefit the politicians it won't happen. They won't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. The super rich get richer, whilst us peasants scrape a living if we're lucky.

Sounds like disinformation made by climate activists to me. As a child my entire multilevel house was heated with a single wood stove for several years. As for price, wood costs little more then a small tank of chainsaw fuel and some elbow grease, here anyway(there are millions of cords of deadfall and standing dead everywhere). It is far, far cheaper then any other way to make heat. But, energy companies don't make any money off of it, the government makes little tax, and the climate extremists have been tricked into thinking firewood kills baby dolphins...
Depending on the moisture content, burning wood emits more CO2 than coal, wood with very little moisture (dried out) can potentially emit less. And of course deforestation negatively adds to the overall CO2 balance as well, not to mention the terrible ecological impact which is often far worse than anything else.

We both live in a part of the world that is sparsely populated and with lots of trees, where wood burning is very prevalent and virtually free - all you need is a good chainsaw and a log splitter - as most folks around here I definitely enjoy a good wood fire - a few good logs of birch for starting the fire and then pile on some good Oak and Beech... will burn forever :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Around here where I live (granted, a bit rural) you realistically have 1 choices for cable, 1 choice for internet, 1 choice for gas and electricity... unless you want to become a Doomsday Prepper (yes, I am in the United States :lol:) ...
Anyone who is not taking some serious cues/lessons from the "Doomsday Preppers" with the current world outlook is a fool imo.
Yes, at the grocery store you seemingly still have choices until you realize that 80% of the goods you buy is ultimately provided by a couple of massive conglomerates that owns and control all the brands etc. it permeates all the way down the supply chain.

How about just tax the crap out of these big companies for every dime they made in excess of their 2019 FY profits and send that money back to the tax payers? well, I should probably go feed my fish now.

Cheers,
Michael

Around here where I live (granted, a bit rural) you realistically have 1 choices for cable, 1 choice for internet, 1 choice for gas and electricity... unless you want to become a Doomsday Prepper (yes, I am in the United States :lol:) ...
I'm no "Doomsday Prepper" per se but, with the current world outlook, anyone who isn't taking some serious prepping steps these days is pretty silly if you ask me...

"Better to have and not need then need and not have"

Franz Kafka
Yes, at the grocery store you seemingly still have choices until you realize that 80% of the goods you buy is ultimately provided by a couple of massive conglomerates that owns and control all the brands etc. it permeates all the way down the supply chain.

Cheers,
Michael

Back