• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400l mixed community

hyphessobrycon peugoti, really rare fish.
A little confused; the pictures i see are like the yellow one; not the red ones with black tail. Is this a sex thing or are they two different species ?

A little confused; the pictures i see are like the yellow one; not the red ones with black tail. Is this a sex thing or are they two different species ?
The yellow/orange are females and the red is a male. Both when in the mood will have a jet black tail but only the male develops the red colouration. When he is displaying this is blood red but it’s very hard to photograph as the males prefer to hang out at the back of the tank. As @castle mentioned they’re pretty rare so there’s not many photos of mature fish online. These are tank bred though so like many of the new tetras they’ll hopefully become more available soon. They’re pretty hardy and extremely beautiful once mature.

Cheers

The yellow/orange are females and the red is a male. Both when in the mood will have a jet black tail but only the male develops the red colouration. When he is displaying this is blood red but it’s very hard to photograph as the males prefer to hang out at the back of the tank. As @castle mentioned they’re pretty rare so there’s not many photos of mature fish online. These are tank bred though so like many of the new tetras they’ll hopefully become more available soon. They’re pretty hardy and extremely beautiful once mature.

Cheers
I looked them up; in the usa they seem available but are rather pricey. Still i'm setting up sa tank with more acidic water so it might be an option to mix them with serape - i'm going ot assume these need near blackwater condition to actually breed (which might be a bad assumption) but the tank in question won't be quite that pure so i don't have to worry about the serpae cross breeding with them.

I looked them up; in the usa they seem available but are rather pricey. Still i'm setting up sa tank with more acidic water so it might be an option to mix them with serape - i'm going ot assume these need near blackwater condition to actually breed (which might be a bad assumption) but the tank in question won't be quite that pure so i don't have to worry about the serpae cross breeding with them.
I don’t think black water will be required. They’re from the matto grosso region same as serpaes. This definitely isn’t a black water area like say the rio negro. I keep them in soft water still though. No breeding attempts yet but by all accounts they shouldn’t be the hardest to breed and I’ll get round to it when I get the chance. A big shoal of these in this tank would look stunning.

I don’t think black water will be required. They’re from the matto grosso region same as serpaes. This definitely isn’t a black water area like say the rio negro. I keep them in soft water still though. No breeding attempts yet but by all accounts they shouldn’t be the hardest to breed and I’ll get round to it when I get the chance. A big shoal of these in this tank would look stunning.
Thank you. Do you think it is safe to mix them with serpae or some similar species or will they cross breed ?

Thank you. Do you think it is safe to mix them with serpae or some similar species or will they cross breed ?
The chance of this happening would be extremely low. These fish are egg scatterers so most eggs would be eaten immediately after spawning unless you was making special allowances to protect these eggs in a proper breeding set up. And then the chances of these two cross breeding would be extremely low. They’re both hyphessobrycon but pretty differrent. May be a different story if you mixed peugoti with say heliacus or Procyon which are very similar.

Make sure you have a large enough shoal of serpae tetras, these are notorious for being nippy when kept in low numbers.

Cheers

The chance of this happening would be extremely low. These fish are egg scatterers so most eggs would be eaten immediately after spawning unless you was making special allowances to protect these eggs in a proper breeding set up. And then the chances of these two cross breeding would be extremely low. They’re both hyphessobrycon but pretty differrent. May be a different story if you mixed peugoti with say heliacus or Procyon which are very similar.

Make sure you have a large enough shoal of serpae tetras, these are notorious for being nippy when kept in low numbers.

Cheers
I kept 2 in a 120 for 3 years and they never bothered the angles or anyone else - also stayed as far apart as possible from each other. I currently have 20 in the 120 and those are the ones i will move the 550; it was a question of getting more of them or adding some other odd species. The 20 i have now are not what i would consider full grown adults but sub-adults. They also avoid the angels. Quite frankly i think they are afraid of the angels.

I kept 2 in a 120 for 3 years and they never bothered the angles or anyone else - also stayed as far apart as possible from each other. I currently have 20 in the 120 and those are the ones i will move the 550; it was a question of getting more of them or adding some other odd species. The 20 i have now are not what i would consider full grown adults but sub-adults. They also avoid the angels. Quite frankly i think they are afraid of the angels.
To be honest all my male hyphessobrycon can be nippy to each other and other male tetras. Some worse than others, but when they’re in the mood to spawn they can all throw their weight about. I’m sure you’ll be fine mixing similar species, there are so many species to choose from now with new ones entering the trade every month at the moment you’re spoilt for choice.

Hope everyone’s good?

Not much to report on the 400l. Everything is ticking along nicely with the corydoras duplicareus still spawning continuously.

I noticed pier aquatics advertising a species of whiptail I’d never heard of recently, rineloricaria sp JACAREACANGA. Apparently it’s found in the upper tapajos, same place as a lot of my tetras. Apart from that there is literally no information available. I’m assuming care will be the same as any other rhineloricaria. I purchased a pair to breed which will either be kept by themselves or with a small group of corydoras which will hopefully breed alongside them. I love the pattern on them which has given them the common name wood grain whiptail.

Fingers crossed they’re as easy to breed as other rhineloricaria. The main issue with these is not actually getting the fish to spawn it’s ensuring the fry get enough food, they can be very fragile in the first few weeks. Anyway, we’re a long way off that yet!

Cheers
807AB2CF-D890-4275-A979-61DB685762C6.png
F468329A-1E37-4596-BD92-63A155EF18DC.png
640ABD22-B4C6-4E99-8A62-FFC20322AF77.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can purchase bamboo tubes with around a one inch diameter? The whiptails prefer to spawn in open ended tubes rather than the closed end caves you see everywhere for plecos.

Cheers

Does anyone know where I can purchase bamboo tubes with around a one inch diameter? The whiptails prefer to spawn in open ended tubes rather than the closed end caves you see everywhere for plecos.

Cheers

These any good?:

You may have to drill/sand out the natural join/junction in the bamboo.

These any good?:

You may have to drill/sand out the natural join/junction in the bamboo.
Thankyou. That’s the type of thing I’m after but a fair bit narrower. They like a snug fit.

After a little bit of searching I’ve found a uk supplier of bamboo that lets you purchase smaller amounts so should be all good hopefully. Apparently these need soaking for ages before they’re good do fish as they stink initially.

Never mind i found the species list on the first page - did the lineta require tds 20 water to breed ?

There seem to be two types of the Corydoras adolfoi/ duplicareus complex in your tank. The ones with the pink cheeks are C121, bit hard to tell as they young do not show the pink cheeks.
That’s correct, there’s a group of duplicareus and a group of C121. The duplicareus spawn frequently but the c121 have never spawned even though the males go through the motions with the females. I believe c121 need extreme blackwater conditions to spawn successfully.

There’s also a fish that came in with the duplicareus which looks similar to adolfoi but not exactly the same.

Cheers

I have never kept C121, but yes I believe all are blackwater species, C121 are closer to burgessi than duplicareus. duplicareus seem to just need a water change to trigger a spawn, burgessi like more tannin but are prolific egg eaters.
If I’m honest I don’t even have to undertake a water change with duplicareus to trigger them. They spawn almost weekly when the females are full and in good condition.

Back