• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I asked ChatGPT fertilizing questions...

RickyV

I was using chatGPT and I got curious as to what it would answer if I asked it for help calculating the dose of fertilizers to my aquarium. I first asked it "how much DTPA Fe (11%) do I need to add my 350 gallon aquarium to reach 0.5 ppm?" To which it gave me a long reply with the math it did and told me to dose 5,659.36g grams lol. I then asked it "how much K3PO4 do I need to add to my 350 gallon aquarium to increase PO4 by 0.5ppm?" This is what it replied

chatgpt1.png

Then I let it know rotala butterfly disagrees with its answer.
chatgpt2.png
So I asked it again to see if it changes its answer.
chatgpt3.png
It gave me the same answer as rotalabutterly! So I asked it the first question about DTPA iron again.
chatgpt4.png
Its only 1 gram off from the rotala butterfly calculator which gave me 6.02 grams. I just thought this was really cool and interesting and wanted to share.

Very Cool @RickyV ! Of course, you don't need a Generative Pre-training Transformer for this as it's really just simple arithmetic, but of course its nice that it spits out an answer that is close enough...

Here is what I asked, and the answer:
Me: Will adding too much Nitrate to my planted aquarium cause algae?

ChatGPT: Yes, adding too much nitrate to a planted aquarium can contribute to excessive algae growth. Nitrates are a type of nutrient that can fuel the growth of algae when present in high levels. Maintaining proper water chemistry and controlling nitrate levels is important for preventing excessive algae growth in a planted aquarium. It is recommended to regularly test the water and keep nitrates at a low to moderate level to promote healthy plant growth while preventing excessive algae growth.

So, yes... I guess, we still need Darrel/@dw1305 and other experts around :lol:

ChatGPT is really good at parsing and "understanding" you question and great at finding answers that are sourced from a bunch of internet sites - such a wikipedia, quora etc. and make them contextually relevant to your question. Truly amazing for sure, and possibly just the tip of the iceberg of what we are going to experience over the next couple of years.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Truly amazing for sure, and possibly just the tip of the iceberg of what we are going to experience over the next couple of years.
Amazing indeed! I asked it the same question you asked it and got about the same response but I then gave it a reason why it is not completely correct. This is what it said.
chatgpt5.png

So cool!

Yeah, it have an uncanny ability to to turn around and change its answer if you challenge it.... Like the sales guy at the end of the month down at the Chevy dealership lot! :lol:

I just restated the question:

Me: if I add too much nitrate to my aquarium will that cause algae?

ChatGPT: Excessive nitrate levels in an aquarium can contribute to excessive algae growth. Nitrates serve as a nutrient source for algae, so an overabundance of nitrates can lead to a proliferation of algae. It's important to monitor nitrate levels in an aquarium and maintain them at appropriate levels to avoid excessive algae growth.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Me: what are the pros and cons of very limited fertilizer dosing in a planted aquarium

ChatGPT:
Pros of limited fertilizer dosing in a planted aquarium:
  1. Slower plant growth: By limiting fertilizer dosing, plant growth may slow down, making it easier to manage and maintain the aquarium.
  2. Reduced Algae growth: Excess nutrients in the water can lead to an increase in algae growth. Limiting fertilizer dosing helps to reduce the amount of nutrients available, which can reduce the amount of algae growth.
  3. Cost-effective: Fertilizers can be expensive. By limiting the amount used, it can save money in the long run.
Cons of limited fertilizer dosing in a planted aquarium:
  1. Poor plant health: Plants need nutrients to grow and thrive. If not enough fertilizer is provided, plants may not receive the nutrients they need and could become stunted, yellow or even die.
  2. Slower growth of desirable plants: Limited fertilizer dosing can slow the growth of desirable plants, making it difficult to achieve the desired plant layout or aesthetic in the aquarium.
  3. Inadequate nutrient levels: If fertilizer dosing is limited too much, the water in the aquarium may not contain enough nutrients for plants to absorb, which can lead to poor plant health and growth.
Haha! Never mind the details or even correctness :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
... And here is another one...

Me: What is the role of ratios between fertilizer components in a planted aquarium?

ChatGPT: The ratios of nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) in fertilizers for planted aquariums play a crucial role in the growth and health of aquatic plants. A balanced ratio of these nutrients provides the plants with the essential elements they need for photosynthesis, energy production, and growth. An excess or deficiency of any of these nutrients can lead to problems such as stunted growth, yellowing leaves, or an increased risk of disease. Therefore, it's important to choose a fertilizer with a balanced ratio of nutrients and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when adding it to the aquarium.

Sounds like this particular answer was sponsored by Tropica and possibly @Happi :lol: (btw. I use Tropica and I also believe in the importance of ratios which enables you to use far less fertilizer, and it works beautifully in one of my tanks).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Q:can i prevent algae in an aquarium by not adding nitrogen?

ChatGPT: Preventing the addition of nitrogen alone may not be enough to prevent algae growth in an aquarium. Algae feed on a variety of nutrients, including nitrogen, but also phosphates and other micronutrients. In addition, other factors such as excessive light, poor water quality, overstocking, and improper maintenance can also contribute to the growth of algae.
To effectively prevent algae growth in an aquarium, it's important to address multiple aspects of aquarium care and management, including maintaining proper water quality, controlling lighting levels, avoiding overstocking, and performing regular maintenance tasks such as water changes and cleaning filters. Consultation with an aquarist or professional can also provide guidance on how to best manage and prevent algae growth in a specific aquarium setup.
:)

At work marketing, sales and web site have been using ChatGPT to elevate to a new level of complete and utter bollards. :rolleyes:.
I have been passed stuff for techinical review, most start OK with a good starter paragraph and occasionally good ending paragraph but stuff in between is a load of technical words strung together with good grammar and English clearly by someone who really hasn't got a clue what its all about.

I am having to use Google to look up the phrases and technical jargon being used as despite working in IT and electronics have no clue what is being talked about. What an earth is an operating systems "write commit policy" and why on earth is an IT user interested in it....also write protecting a disk can prevent virus infection, apparently...(and stop the user writing to disk....:eek:).

It will get there, but one should possibly understand what ChatGPT is talking about,

At work marketing, sales and web site have been using ChatGPT to elevate to a new level of complete and utter bollards. :rolleyes:.
Yes, marketing people are all over this like a cheap suit :)

The more domain knowledge you have on a particular subject the more the answers out of ChatGPT sounds like sweet nonsense....
load of technical words strung together with good grammar and English clearly by someone who really hasn't got a clue what its all about.
Yep, thats marketing! (sorry, marketing people, not all of you are like that, some of you indeed have bad grammar as well) :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

I was using chatGPT and I got curious as to what it would answer if I asked it for help calculating the dose of fertilizers to my aquarium. I first asked it "how much DTPA Fe (11%) do I need to add my 350 gallon aquarium to reach 0.5 ppm?" To which it gave me a long reply with the math it did and told me to dose 5,659.36g grams lol. I then asked it "how much K3PO4 do I need to add to my 350 gallon aquarium to increase PO4 by 0.5ppm?" This is what it replied
ChatGPT provided detailed calculations and suggested dosages, including a humorous response of 5,659.36g for the DTPA Fe query. It's fascinating to see the AI model attempting to assist with such specific and niche inquiries. However, it's important to note that when it comes to precise calculations for aquariums, it's always advisable to cross-reference with trusted sources or consult with experts in the field for accurate recommendations.

@contact:gptnederlands.nl

Back