• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fissidens sp. 'vietnam'

louis_last

Is there anybody here growing this species? I am obsessed with fissidens and my most treasured posession is a few small patches of Fissidens splachnabryoides. The reason I like F. splachnabryoides so much is that it's absolutely tiny and one of relatively few fissidens species that seem to truly adapt to aquatic growth and spreads laterally across stones and wood over time whereas many others sold for aquariums never truly thrive submersed, becoming leggy and eteliolated as they stretch upwards towards the light without ever naturally spreading and propagating themselves underwater.
I believe that species like 'Mallorca' and 'Miroshaki' share this truly aquatic growth habit with splachnabryoides but I can't source them in the UK without spending about £50 to get them from Poland or Germany. I was recently able to trade an extremely rare terrestrial fern for a small portion of Fissidens sp. 'vietnam' that is growing surprisingly quickly in an emersed setup on gley substrate. It looks very much like F. splachnabryoides so I'm optimistic that it may thrive submersed but I can find no discussion of it online only listings offering it for sale that only ever include pictures of tiny patches that may or may not have been grown submersed.
Does anybody here grow this species or know anything about it? pictures of in tank growth would be immensely appreciated.
Here's a couple of pictures showing the growth of F. splachnabryoides over time on lava rock if anyone is curious. In the second picture there's another Fissidens species visible too that's slightly larger and a lighter green - possibly F. rufulus. The pink stuff in the first picture some of you will recognise as dead staghorn algae that liked the fresh lava rock for some reason.
20210823_174242.jpg
20210823_173931.jpg

Can’t answer your query I’m afraid, but boy those are super cute. 🥰

If you manage to get your collection to spread itself out a little (which I know may not happen anytime soon) can I please be the first to put my name on the ‘I wanna buy some’ list.

And once @Hufsa , our resident moss queen see’s this, I suspect she may be hunting you down too! 😂

Can’t answer your query I’m afraid, but boy those are super cute. 🥰

If you manage to get your collection to spread itself out a little (which I know may not happen anytime soon) can I please be the first to put my name on the ‘I wanna buy some’ list.

And once @Hufsa , our resident moss queen see’s this, I suspect she may be hunting you down too! 😂
Once I have enough this will be the first place I share any I promise you. Unfortunately the F. splachnabryoides actually seems to grow more slowly emersed or I would have more by now. It's the hardiest fissidens I've grown by far though, I had some in a tank that got neglected with no water changes, no ferts, essentially no flow from a clogged up filter, and that had been so overgrown by giant duckweed for several months that 'low light' would be the understatement of the century - the only plants that survived the neglect were java fern and the F. splachnabryoides which had even managed to spread under those conditions. The tradeoff is that it's the slowest growing moss I've ever dealt with.

Is there anybody here growing this species? I am obsessed with fissidens and my most treasured posession is a few small patches of Fissidens splachnabryoides. The reason I like F. splachnabryoides so much is that it's absolutely tiny and one of relatively few fissidens species that seem to truly adapt to aquatic growth and spreads laterally across stones and wood over time whereas many others sold for aquariums never truly thrive submersed, becoming leggy and eteliolated as they stretch upwards towards the light without ever naturally spreading and propagating themselves underwater.
I believe that species like 'Mallorca' and 'Miroshaki' share this truly aquatic growth habit with splachnabryoides but I can't source them in the UK without spending about £50 to get them from Poland or Germany. I was recently able to trade an extremely rare terrestrial fern for a small portion of Fissidens sp. 'vietnam' that is growing surprisingly quickly in an emersed setup on gley substrate. It looks very much like F. splachnabryoides so I'm optimistic that it may thrive submersed but I can find no discussion of it online only listings offering it for sale that only ever include pictures of tiny patches that may or may not have been grown submersed.
Does anybody here grow this species or know anything about it? pictures of in tank growth would be immensely appreciated.
Here's a couple of pictures showing the growth of F. splachnabryoides over time on lava rock if anyone is curious. In the second picture there's another Fissidens species visible too that's slightly larger and a lighter green - possibly F. rufulus. The pink stuff in the first picture some of you will recognise as dead staghorn algae that liked the fresh lava rock for some reason.
View attachment 198452View attachment 198453

I have both Mallorca and Miroshaki, and they do grow very well - as you note, they are one of the few species of moss that don't increase in stem length but actually spread horizontally. I'll try and get a picture later.

I keep meaning to trim mine and propagate it to a new pad.

I have both Mallorca and Miroshaki, and they do grow very well - as you note, they are one of the few species of moss that don't increase in stem length but actually spread horizontally. I'll try and get a picture later.

I keep meaning to trim mine and propagate it to a new pad.
I would really love to see that picture!

Amazing. They're both actually smaller than I imagined from other pictures I'd seen of each. I really wonder what species mallorca actually is.

Who knows, it’s a bit of a Wild West with rarer aquatic plants - it’s the same some newer crypts, and Buce is even worse for random naming. Mallorca could just be a regional variation of Mirokashi, but there is definitely a different in growth.

Obviously I have to caveat the ID’ing by pointing out that I’m relying on the personal selling me these (Novina) correctly ID’ing them in the first place!

Last edited:
Hi,

Well, I am located in Germany, but maybe my collection of Fissidens is interesting for you as you would have some names to search for?

Fissidens Vietnam
Fissidens Splachnobryodes
Fissidens Nobilis
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Edithae
Fissidens Phillipines
Fissidens Nagasaki
Fissidens Nobilis Longleaf
Fissidens Mallorca
Fissidens Amra
Fissidens Hougouke
Fissidens Taxifolius
Fissidens Mini Borneo
Fissidens Idukki
Fissidens Splachnobryoides
Fissidens Khao Sok
Fissidens Lhaha Forest
Fissidens Phillipines
Fissidens Rufulus
Fissidens Dubius "Toshua Houougoke"
Fissidens Bucephalandra
Fissidens Mini Java
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Toshua
Fissidens Japonicus
Fissidens Zolligneri
Fissidens Houougoke
Fissidens Grandifrons

Regards Andreas

Hi,

Well, I am located in Germany, but maybe my collection of Fissidens is interesting for you as you would have some names to search for?

Fissidens Vietnam
Fissidens Splachnobryodes
Fissidens Nobilis
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Edithae
Fissidens Phillipines
Fissidens Nagasaki
Fissidens Nobilis Longleaf
Fissidens Mallorca
Fissidens Amra
Fissidens Hougouke
Fissidens Taxifolius
Fissidens Mini Borneo
Fissidens Idukki
Fissidens Splachnobryoides
Fissidens Khao Sok
Fissidens Lhaha Forest
Fissidens Phillipines
Fissidens Rufulus
Fissidens Dubius "Toshua Houougoke"
Fissidens Bucephalandra
Fissidens Mini Java
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Toshua
Fissidens Japonicus
Fissidens Zolligneri
Fissidens Houougoke
Fissidens Grandifrons

Regards Andreas
Would kill for pictures! I'd be especially interested in seeing you F. splachnabryoides to see if what I have is the same.
Do you have a favorite among all these? any that stand out for faster growth/better adaptation to sumbersed growth?
Any tips from a fissidens grand master would be much appreciated

I can take some photos later.
As I got most of these at once (1. November) and already submerged I can answer only which adapted to my tank the fastest.
Fissidens Geppii
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens Rufulus (my current favorite)
Fissidens Mallorca

All of these started growing new shots immediately, others are still not growing very well.

Greetings

I can take some photos later.
As I got most of these at once (1. November) and already submerged I can answer only which adapted to my tank the fastest.
Fissidens Geppii
Fissidens Fox
Fissidens Fontanus
Fissidens Rufulus (my current favorite)
Fissidens Mallorca

All of these started growing new shots immediately, others are still not growing very well.

Greetings
No rush but I really would love to see some pictures. I got some Mallorca and Miroshaki from @Wookii just before christmas and both have attached to lava stone and produced new growth very quickly in an emersed setup with an ultrasonic humidifier. Their growth rate seems to be just slightly slower than fissidens fontanus to me.
I also just got some F. rufulus about a week ago that seems like a slightly smaller version of mallorca/miroshaki but it's not begun to grow yet.
I notice you also have sp. 'vietnam', I still haven't tried this one submerged yet but the person I traded with was growing it sumberged and so far growing emersed it seems to be probably the fastest growing fissidens I've had. If it truly adapts and spreads sumberged then it will be a winner in my book.

Hi Andreas, is that moss growing on some material so that it‘s easier to attach to its new home when the time comes?

Yes it’s some kind of curtain fabric. I received it like that.
i decided to bind the mosses with it, so I don’t need to put every single stem on a rock or where I want to bind it, I put the whole „patch“ on it and bind it all at once.
Also I can easily change the place where it is attached to.

If you see this picture you know why started doing it this way:
7EE37963-85D0-4147-B830-C5A94C3D5791.jpeg

some fissidens are so small I simply can’t manage to bind every stem by its own.

Greetings

Really appreciate the pictures @rixo2010 . I can see why rufulus stands out from the crowd. Based on these pictures I think the "splachnabryoides" I have may not be the same as yours but there's so many variables in terms of light, water chemistry etc. that could be having an effect on the growth form that it's hard to tell.
How are you finding that crepidomanes fern? I keep seeing these sold for aquariums but only very rarely have seen pictures of them thriving submerged.

I got these crepidomanes in that tank:

Crepidomanes Calicut
Crepidomanes sp. ?
Crepidomanes Grape Leaf 2
Crepidomanes Vietnam
Crepidomanes Vietnam 2
Crepidomanes India
Crepidomanes Malibu
Crepidomanes Malabricum

1EC0AB7C-667E-4C95-B16B-1D56FCA61D19.jpeg

So far I can say, Malibu is the only one that’s dieing more than growing.
All the others especially Vietnam 1 and 2 are growing very good.

Hey,
just wanted to add something before somebody copies the „trick“ with the „patches“ I mentioned above.

They simply disappear over time….
So basically it did not went as I expected, but in some cases this is genius.

View attachment 201229
These are coming on nicely. What's that flat light green moss at the back next to the blue bead?

Back