• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium water marks on outer panels.

William B

Hi, I've brought a second hand tank and I'm in the process off cleaning it but I cant get these water marks / stains off. They are on the front outer panel, look like little burst bubble marks? (Dried rain drops) I've tried vinegar but nothing is moving them. Maybe a polish paste?
I've attached some pictures but it's hard to capture them.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230214_141153.jpg
    20230214_141153.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
  • 20230214_141105.jpg
    20230214_141105.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20230214_141046.jpg
    20230214_141046.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230214_140640.jpg
    20230214_140640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
I would think distilled White vinegar and a coarse sponge should do the job.... but you already tried that. if you can feel it on the surface with the tip of your fingers I would think it can come off.. Some would suggest using a razor blade - make sure the surface is wet though - and try it in an inconspicuous location first to make sure you do not leave scratches.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Some would suggest using a razor blade - make sure the surface is wet though - and try it in an inconspicuous location first to make sure you do not leave scratches.
This was literally going to my suggestion. I use razors to remove hard water stains - it works incredibly well. If you get the area wet, and then go over it, it should take it off pretty much straight away. Keep the blade flat against the glass and apply even pressure - I've never had any scratches doing it this way. As Michael said though, maybe start on a side-panel first just so you're confident before moving on to the front glass.

Be extra careful around the silicone seams, you don't want to knick that with a razor. Switch to a coarse sponge for that area.

If they are limescale marks just use Kilrock limescale remover, preferably outside as a bit wiffy. Wash thoroughly, hopefully job done.

Dip kitchen paper towels in vinegar and slap them on to 10-15 minutes before trying the razor or scrubber. Should be easier to get rid of then. You can finish by polishing with a melamaine sponge/magic scrubber.
Instead of vinegar you can make a concentrated solution of citric acid and try that instead. They both work better when warmed

Back