• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noisy Oase Biomaster 850 Thermo

Aeropars

Hi all,

As part of my new tank setup i treated myself to a Oase Biomaster thinking that these are premium filters with great features. Problem is i'm finding it REALLY noisy, so much so that i can hear it in other rooms of the house and over the sound of the TV of a night. Been in touch with Oase support and they are not really suggesting there is a problem but having come from a budget filter (AquaEL Ultramax) which was much quieter, i'm finding this quite difficult to take.

The noise is the normal whurring of the impeller rather than the burping which i understand is common with these filters.

Does anyone have any expereice with such problems on this filter and if so, were you able to resolve it?

Cheers

Have you checked that the impeller has both rubber seals around it (one at each end if memory serves)
If they’re missing or misplaced, they can cause the impeller to run off tilt.

Failing that, I think there’s a few videos online covering this, MJ aquascaping has a video on it.

Thanks for the reply.

I've not checked the impeller but havent taken it apart either so assume they would be there unless its been dlievered with missing parts.
I have seen that video but it seems to be more about the burping as opposed to the constant loudness of the filter.

Cheers

I had the same experience coming from an eheim pro 4.
It is much noisier and you can hear the rumble across a room for sure.
However, it is a much more powerful and larger filter and it will bed down a little after being running a while.
Make sure you clean pre filters weekly and I dont notice it half as much as when I first got it now

My Biomaster Thermo 350 is noisy when I've had it apart for a full clean - i.e. probably like that when brand new.
Once it's filled and ran for a few days, it quietens down significantly. What also makes it sound really loud is when one of the inlet/outlet pipes is touching the cabinet walls. Try and isolate them and perhaps check the rubber feet are also in place.

Yeah, done all of the above. I do notice air gets trapped inside as well ans then the filter sometimes burps our the excess. I assume this is becasue my CO2 is coming out of solution as its agitated throught he filter mesh. I'm going to try rmeoving some of it and see if that makes any difference.

I use only one filter foam in the main cannister and I think it's a medium density and then after this, all trays are Alfagrog and Matrix. The pre filter inlet is also drilled on mine which vastly improves flow. These things could help in your set up?

Hello, concerning the noise, try to isolate the filter from the bottom of the cabinet to prevent from vibrations transmission to the cabinet (just put it on a "rubber" carpet).
For air burping, which is THE problem of this filter range, I solved it by permanently tilting the filter forwards a little bit, with a small piece of wood below the base. The tilt is small (a few degrees) but enough to prevent air from accumulating . I can see some air burping from time to time, but it is a very small quantity and there is no noise. Not as before when it was suddenly purging huge quantities of air with unacceptable noise.

Hope this may help :)

The noise is the normal whurring of the impeller rather than the burping which i understand is common with these filters.
Rattling noise or impeller crushing air noise?

Whenever I get a new filter, I do no trust the manufacturer to have done the job properly. Therefore I apply silicone grease to all o-rings that are meant to keep a seal. I also apply a very thin layer to the shaft where the impeller goes.

Rattling noise or impeller crushing air noise?
I guess you could call it rattling. Its constant and consistent at all times of day and doesnt change of i shake the filter to purge any of the trapped gasses that build up.

Hello, concerning the noise, try to isolate the filter from the bottom of the cabinet to prevent from vibrations transmission to the cabinet (just put it on a "rubber" carpet).
For air burping, which is THE problem of this filter range, I solved it by permanently tilting the filter forwards a little bit, with a small piece of wood below the base. The tilt is small (a few degrees) but enough to prevent air from accumulating . I can see some air burping from time to time, but it is a very small quantity and there is no noise. Not as before when it was suddenly purging huge quantities of air with unacceptable noise.

Hope this may help :)
Interesting! Thats not a problem that i'm having too much of but when it does happen, it can be even more noisy. Do you tils the filter towards the inlet/outlet connection or away from it?

Hi, more or less like that :)

oase.jpg

I would just not be happy having to do that on a fairly new filter!

100% agree... but what else could be done ? I read everwhere that even changing the filter, the head, etc.. does not improve... So everyday, as a routine, before going to bed in order to prevent any noise from waking me up (which would have made me becoming mad and throw this f..cking sh..t through the window), I was purging the air by tilting the filter, there was so much air inside that sometimes the impeller was blocked for some seconds..... I was very furious about that... Then I decided to try and keep it tilted by pushing a piece of wood behind it, and it seemd to improve... Not the best, but works :)

Back