• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regulator gauge needle moving constantly

creg

I uploaded a short video to show what I mean, Is this normal?

IMG_20230322_134759.jpg

The regulator while switched on, are these numbers correct?

I uploaded a short video to show what I mean, Is this normal?
Not it is not. The needle should be stable. Could be a problem with either stages. Does it do this when the solenoid is off or the needle valve completely closed?
The regulator while switched on, are these numbers correct?
Second stage pressure seems high IMO. 30 psi max 40 psi would be enough.

What about when the needle valve is fully closed?
Sorry just checked again and yes it's doing it while unplugged. Should have known better than to buy a second hand regulator off eBay I guess.

Sorry just checked again and yes it's doing it while unplugged. Should have known better than to buy a second hand regulator off eBay I guess.
Still doesn't tell me if it is doing it while the needle valve is closed.
This said looks like the issue is with the second stage. Considering this is a cheap low quality reg, repairs are not worth it.

Still doesn't tell me if it is doing it while the needle valve is closed.
This said looks like the issue is with the second stage. Considering this is a cheap low quality reg, repairs are not worth it.
It's actually stopped moving now for whatever reason I have no idea as I haven't done anything but the psi is still just under 60. Turning the needle valve has no effect. I'm using a co2 fire extinguisher if that helps.

Last edited:
You have a leak somewhere....check the tubing connections!
hoggie

Last edited:
You have a leak somewhere....check the tubing connections!
hoggie
An external leak shouldn't make the needle swing like this. If a leak it is, it is internal to the regulator. Could also be a defective gauge or diaphragm.

In the past I have dismantled a Co2Art regulator. It’s supposedly better quality than these Supermarker CO2. I’ll be honest. It’s just rubbish quality. All internals are made from cheap metals and some parts made from soft alluminum. Tolerances are just wtf. These cheap chinese regulators are just bad IMO. Also ALL these regulators leak. Even the high end ones, it’s all a matter of acceptable losses. However the cheap ones will leak like there is no tomorrow. I am pretty sure no one tests for these leaks except a few nerds like me. There is a procedure to test 1st stage and 2nd stages leaks. It takes a few days to do it. Cheap regs will have the 2nd stage empty in less than a days or 2 max when isolated. Proper quality regs can maintain pressure with a mere drop of ~5-8% after a week.

Last edited:
Are there any regulators you would recommend? When this co2 bottle is empty I'll upgrade to a brand new one.

Are there any regulators you would recommend? When this co2 bottle is empty I'll upgrade to a brand new one.
Well that's the thing. Quality regulators can get very expensive so it's all a matter of trade off. You could buy one of these CO2Art or cheap regs but you have to be aware of the quality. I have 2 of those CO2Art ones. One is dead after less than 2 years. The other one it's a replacement CO2Art sent me. I am not using it though. Leaks too much for my taste and the flow goes up and down during the day. One thing is for sure though, I would never buy a second hand low end reg. The current reg I am using is a second hand high end industrial grade reg. It retails new for over 1000 USD and that's just the reg without all the fitting and needle valve that can cost 100-300 USD. I bought it restored with new parts for 300 USD. Doesn't skip a beat.

IMG_5431.JPG

I am not recommending you to buy an expensive regulator. I am just giving my experience. A cheap one will do the job, but just go for new.

Plugged in this morning to see this and no co2 coming out 😞
IMG_20230324_102751.jpg

Looks likes it's the first stage that has a leak. You can see there is still pressure in the second stage while the primary stage is empty. I would guess the internal spring or diaphragm are dead/damaged.
I'm gonna order a brand new regulator and return this one, is it safe to remove this broken regulator?

Yep release the handle and make sure you purge any remaining pressure in the reg by opening the needle valve.

Back