• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish for Hard London Water (20 Gallon)

I'm on the lookout for a tank of about 120l give or take, as then I could just about use my old filter without having to buy a new one.

I would also perhaps be able to get a small pleco :)

So sorry to hear about your mum @pollyandpear my condolences.

The corydoras should be fine in that tank for a while. Just make sure you don’t feed too much and keep up with the weekly water changes. You’ve done the right thing and bought a decent sized group, they’ll do great.

Cheers

I may have already found a 112 litre tank to collect today. If so I'm going to use sand as the substrate.
Ideal cory substrate :thumbup: Not sure if youre planning on getting sand from the petshop, another shop or what (sometimes there is a lot of money to be saved on buying something like filtersand instead of pet shop sand).
I would go for a grain size 1mm or below if possible, and also avoid the very finest particles because they mean that the sand will compact a lot. A sensible lower cut-off might be around 0.3mm for example. Avoid childrens play sand as it is intentionally made to compact so that the kiddos can build castles. Sorry for raving about sand, I am weirdly passionate about it 😅

I found it pointless to go to another tank if your current tank is not settled down yet.

But…

I’ll stay silent just for now 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
If I went up to a 200 litre aquarium, I'd need a new filter. Could I just remove the media from the fluval u2 and put it into a u4?

Hello! The last few weeks have been hard but thought I'd update.

The floating plants (watter lettuce and salvinia minima) are growing like mad. I keep having to remove some as it covers the entire surface of water.

I have TONS of snails. They seem to be breeding prolifically, not sure how best to combat this. I don't mind them, but just worried they may take over.

Corys seem happy - they are so sweet.

Did a dip test yesterday and everything looked fine. I keep expecting to have high nitrates or ammonia but so far so good.

I do a 25% water change every week or so.

I have decided to buy a slightly bigger tank - 90cm long, so 112 litres. Hoping with this I can add a few more fish and scape the aquarium a little differently with more room for the fish.

Otherwise, quite happy!

Woke up today to find one of my Cory's had died. There were snails on him.

I'm so sad Just checked the water and according to my dip tests everything is fine.

Not sure what to do or why they would have died.

Bit anxious now. I will do a 25% water change anyway, I've removed some of the floating tank plants too as they cover the surface now.

But really sad and don't know why this has happened.

Back