• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating plants - too good for nutrient removal?

copperband

Having added some floating plants to my set up a few weeks after set up I have been amazed at the speed these grow and spread over the tank surface. The result of strong water movement, CO2, powerful lighting and regular nutrient dosing means i remove several handfuls a day.
My question is, are they a bit too good at what they do, that is, are they getting the optimum of everything and consequently "stealing" from my plants elsewhere in the aquarium? Both are Phyllanthus fluitans species. Any thought please?

Hi all,
are they a bit too good at what they do, that is, are they getting the optimum of everything and consequently "stealing" from my plants elsewhere in the aquarium?
It is not so much "stealing", it is more that they have first dibs on the light and <"aren't CO2 limited"> (they get <"their CO2 from the atmosphere">, so the CO2 in the water isn't that relevant to them). A lot of people have them during start-up and then later dispense with them.
I have been amazed at the speed these grow and spread over the tank surface
They <"don't have a lot of "scaffolding">, so this allows them to put most of their effort into growing new leaves. Because they are growing really quickly it just says you have <"plenty of nutrients in your tank water">.
are Phyllanthus fluitans
Have a look at this, <"specifically for Phyllanthus fluitans">.

cheers Darrel

You could always add fast growing stem plants as per tutorial below!
hoggie

A599CB8E-C579-451F-838C-2A38C598AA99.jpeg

other plants doing pretty well. The only thing that has struggled a little is the carpeting variety’s at the front.

I'd throw out these carpeting plants now if they are struggling, they may cause you a massive headache later. Can't see from the picture, are they half melting half growing, ones to the right - are these brown roots?

I'd throw out these carpeting plants now if they are struggling, they may cause you a massive headache later. Can't see from the picture, are they half melting half growing, ones to the right - are these brown roots?
They're not struggling, quite the contrary, they grow a bit too quickly. The brown you see are the roots hanging down. Interestingly, I have harvested a lot and put in a shallow tray in the greenhouse, just as an experient ahead of maybe adding to my pond when the water is warmer. The colours are much more deep brown red, suggesting less light, less green.

Just a quick comment about Phyllanthus fluitans. IME these plants prefer slow water movement. They tend to develop faster that way. Also water movement can make them go under water which is not great for views. You could contain them in a corner or an area by delimiting it with some tubing or some contraption of the sort.
I did actually try the corner containment, in fact it sort of happens naturally around the surface skim intake of the glassware. Just need to keep harvesting though as it's incredible how fast this multiplies :)

Back