• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for inspiration

Myrtle

Because 11 tanks just isn't enough :rolleyes: (if you include the jars, shrimp tanks and fry tanks lol) I'm considering a slightly larger tank than my current ones as I have the perfect spot for a Superfish Scaper 60 (50x35x35cm). I usually design my tanks around the inhabitants but this time, I really have zero clue what fish to go for so I can't do anything until I've settled on that. As it'll be in my bedroom, I'd like peaceful and calm fish, but also something with interesting behaviour and that I can see relatively easily. I don't really want something that rushes around like danios but also, not something that sits in one spot for hours as that spot is invariably hidden! I mostly have labyrinth fish at the moment and they can be pretty elusive (I rarely see the Sparkling Gourami other than feeding time). Water parameters can be anything as my tap is very hard but I also already run softwater tanks. The only definite (almost) is that it would be a dirted, low tech set up and heavily planted, not iwagumi or anything minimalistic!
Anything spring to mind that might fit the bill?

C. travancoricus are always fun to watch, and although they’re very active, I don’t find them a headache to watch. Plus, who doesn’t love those beadie little eyes.

The only definite (almost) is that it would be a dirted, low tech set up and heavily planted
Sounds perfect for a killifish or two, a lid is absolutely essential for them though. I keep Fundulopanchax gardneri which is one of the more boisterous species, and always happy to beg for food when you pass their tank. At the moment I'm raising a surprise fry in my "mini marsh", he's les than 2cms (they will get to 3 times that) but already starting to colour up and jumping excitedly during feeding.
IMG_20230324_143057.jpg
There are hundreds of other killi species too, so at least one should fit nicely (Aphyosemion bitaeniatum is on my bucket list). If you start with a pair or trio, and have plenty of structure, you will quickly have some fry turning up, and if raised together these tend to cohabit relatively peacefully.

Sounds perfect for a killifish or two, a lid is absolutely essential for them though. I keep Fundulopanchax gardneri which is one of the more boisterous species, and always happy to beg for food when you pass their tank. At the moment I'm raising a surprise fry in my "mini marsh", he's les than 2cms (they will get to 3 times that) but already starting to colour up and jumping excitedly during feeding.
View attachment 203009
There are hundreds of other killi species too, so at least one should fit nicely (Aphyosemion bitaeniatum is on my bucket list). If you start with a pair or trio, and have plenty of structure, you will quickly have some fry turning up, and if raised together these tend to cohabit relatively peacefully.
I do keep coming back to killies, I nearly got some a while back - it will be lidded as the tv is going to be above it so I don't want any accidents if it falls off the wall!

Have you considered lampeyes? Poropanchax Normani are small, active and the neon blue eyes are easy to see. Males show sparring behaviour . Good in group of 10+.
Seem tolerant of water conditions, I keep them in my soft tapwater lowtech EC 100 but also in hightech with EI ferts and EC 250.
If you are interested and don't mind raising from eggs I can send some in the post foc. There's always a tank with a spawning group ( shouldn't have said that, they will probably dry up now😀

Cheers
John

Have you considered lampeyes? Poropanchax Normani are small, active and the neon blue eyes are easy to see. Males show sparring behaviour . Good in group of 10+.
Seem tolerant of water conditions, I keep them in my soft tapwater lowtech EC 100 but also in hightech with EI ferts and EC 250.
If you are interested and don't mind raising from eggs I can send some in the post foc. There's always a tank with a spawning group ( shouldn't have said that, they will probably dry up now😀

Cheers
John
Wow, that's really kind! I have often considered them but right now all my fry tanks are full with medaka or B imbellis. I may well get back to you in a few months though!

Back