• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New website for comparing fish/plants/inverts for compatibility

Myrtle

Hi, I just spotted this over on The Planted Tank and it looks pretty useful, particularly if you're looking for a fish for certain water parameters, now that SF advanced search has ceased to function. Planted Tankmates is a database like SF, but lets you compare different fish/plants/inverts side by side, like on shopping comparison sites.

The website appears to only list 55 species of fish and not a wide range at that.

• Corydoras (17)
    • Albino Aeneus, Bandit, Duplicate, Fairy, Green, Green Laser, Habrosus, Pygmy, Horseman, Julii, Leopard (Trilineatus), Panda, Pepper, Schwartz’s, Skunk, Sterbai, Super Parallelus
  • Tetras (7)
    • Black Neon, Gold Neon, Green Neon, Neon, Cardinal, Bloodfin, Rummy Nose Tetra
  • Otocinclus (6)
    • Dwarf (macrospilus), Golden (Macrotocinclus affinis), Orange Zebra - Nannoptopoma, vittatus, Silver (vestitus), Zebra/Tiger (cocama)
  • Gourami (3)
    • Flame Dwarf, Dwarf Honey Red, Sparkling
  • Barb (3)
    • Cherry, Odessa, Tiger
  • Rasbora (3)
    • Harlequin, Black Harlequin, Emerald Dwarf
  • Endler (3)
    • Blue Star, El Tigre, N Class
  • Danio (2)
    • Celestial Pearl, Zebra
  • Killifish (2)
    • Clown, Daisy's Blue Rice
  • Other (9)
  • Green Cobra Guppy, Blue Neon Stiphodon Goby, Boesemani Rainbowfish, Dwarf Pea Puffer, German Blue Ram, Gold Lyretail Molly, Purple Pencilfish, Rosy Loach, Siamese Algae Eater
It also doesn't flag conflicts you still have to manually find them yourself. You can't filter by parameter. If I'm honest it seems pretty limited.

The actual parameters listed seem a little conservative but that's probably better than excessively broad.

It also doesn't flag conflicts you still have to manually find them yourself. You can't filter by parameter. If I'm honest it seems pretty limited.

The actual parameters listed seem a little conservative but that's probably better than excessively broad.
I think that building a database that covers absolutely everything would be a mammoth task, especially on Wordpress! At least someone is giving it a go now that SF is no longer updated - even the advanced search function no longer works. Hopefully, in time, it'll advance and considering the person is also not making any money from it, even in advertising yet, I think it's a good start.

Okay I have had a quick look and this is actually great - yes the database may be a little small at present but it seems new and someone is clearly doing this in their spare time for the enjoyment of others which is wonderful. I find the hardness/ph very helpful as what I currently have to do is make a list - double check everything on SF or google and then try and cross reference etc. I also like being able to skim through pictures - seems silly but for someone who rarely kept anything other than nano rainbows or livebearers theres a LOT of fish species I dont know and my plant knowledge is shocking as im new to planted tanks..
Its nicely set out and very beginner friendly. Thumbs up from me, thanks for the share @Myrtle :)

I’m going to release a website soon too; I’ve been very hesitant as I have little time to do it justice, but the data it contains is really useful.

I like what they’ve done, compatibility is a tricky thing.

Every freshwater fish can be searched by ph/temp/hardness and location and combination of those search terms

So, if my home water is 40tds, 22c and 6ph, I’ll get a list of 600 fish that are suitable etc

It’s not quite ready for public, but also, idc here’s a staging link:

Don’t judge me too harshly, I wasn’t planning on sharing this for months…

UKAPS has a database feature, I am happy to open it up to members that want to start a fish database in the same way we have a plant database, also open to allow some members to edit/add content to either! thanks

That's a great idea Paulo. UKAPS is blessed with many knowledgeable and generous members, and I bet we could build a comprehensive database given time. We also have many excellent images of fish as well as plants which could help make both unique.

That's a great idea Paulo. UKAPS is blessed with many knowledgeable and generous members, and I bet we could build a comprehensive database given time. We also have many excellent images of fish as well as plants which could help make both unique.
I haven't got the time to invest in such projects, but I have provided the tools to enable others to do it if they so wish to, rather than start other websites with the information, we can keep it all on UKAPS. If interested just ping me a message and we can discuss the ideas!
I renamed Databases to Plantbase as we only have the plant database at the moment, but I did keep it separate with just Aquatic Plants, we can also have Terrestrial Plants, Fish, Inverts, etc....

Back