• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Update (And Advise Wanted!)

I'm not against it, but a) I am so new to this I think getting to grips with low tech may be better first. b) what is high tech? Is the addition of co2 all it takes? c) cost wise how much more does it cost?

If you do change your mind and if you decide to go towards co2 injected tank let me know as i have spare co2 generator with solenoid, diffusers and bubble counter.

Basically good starter kit.

I’m willing to send it for a small forum donation (£10 or something).

I’ve swapped it for fire extinguisher last week and literally don’t need it anymore.

It only takes place in my flat.

But if it comes to any advise how does it work and what else would you need to set up co2 injected tank i would ask more experienced users as i’m not really good at giving people advices.

Hope you all have a good day.

Cheers :)

If I was to move the plants and wood I have in there now, with the fish in the tank, would that cause a lot of upset?
That should be fine 🙂
Just move the wood carefully to avoid squishing any critters :thumbup:
You can move plants around to where you think they will look better, stemplants especially are relatively tolerant of being uprooted, since they tend not to have quite as an extensive root network.
Crypts are the plants you should be the most careful about moving too much, they tend to take it personally and may melt or be quite upset for a time. For moving Crypts, planning thoroughly ahead and limiting how often it happens is good. (Im not sure if you have any crypts though)
If you havent yet, remove the pots from any plants. They dont like growing in those long term.

If you are looking to maximise the chances of the incoming fry growing to adulthood, I would keep many of the floating plants and stems at the surface that you currently have.
Your inspiration pictures look very nice, but they dont have nearly as much hiding places near the surface for livebearer fry.
But its not the end of the world if most of them get eaten by the bigger fish, it really depends on what you want to prioritize right now 😊
Fry are cute and fun but if a ton of them make it to adulthood they will probably need new homes, so in a way maximising how many fry you get might not be what you want in the long run 🙂

Okay thank you - I am going to power wash my rocks as they have algae growth on them!

RE the co2, that is really kind of you! I will message you regarding it <3

I did it! Surprisingly quickly, and I am way happier with it. Waiting for the water to clear and will just leave it now. Will take a photo once settled.

The Mollys seem happy just swimming around, can only see two Cory so hope I haven't unsettled/ inurjured any :(

Edit all have been seen swimming about

Last edited:
RE the co2, that is really kind of you! I will message you regarding it <3
No problem at all.

I’m normally working long hours during the week so probably won’t be able to send it until Saturday anyway.

Just give me a shout if you need it.

If you don’t.

Obviously nothing bad will happen.

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs time to settle, and may need to trim some plants, but I am much happier with it!
f477861b-2fbe-48da-809a-7e270e39c1ee.jpg

I've just noticed one of my older cords looks a little yellow tinged? I don't think he was that colour before. I will try and get a photo :(

Not sure if this shows it.

3de6c14a-005b-40de-8f22-b2cc5b6ef7eb.jpg

Last edited:
My two pence for what it worth.

I think you genuinely are better off going back to the drawing board.

Take all your fish back to the LFS.

Bin your sand.

Wash your hardscape

Store your plants in a bucket of water or bin/rehome them.

Get yourself a decent canister

Plan your hardscape

Use aqua soil only

Plan your planting layout

Then just live with a planted tank and some clean up crew for a few months.

Then add fish.

Back