• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"wendelov"

bazz

hi,
not sure if i was dreaming or not, but i'm pretty certain i read on here somewhere that it is best to cut all the leaves off of java fern when first tied to bogwood, i've searched the archives but can't find the thread. i've just bought a sizeable chunk and i'm left wondering if this is the right course of action?
cheers and thanx in advance,
bazz!

I wouldn't, I see no need. Leaves are the powerhouses of plants that produce the energy for growth. I've not heard of anyone buying plants to cut the leaves off ever. I have seen various sellers on ebay from Taiwan/Malasia cutting the leaves off before posting but have no clue whether the plants, usually crypts, would be better for it or not. I presume it just saves the seller on postage costs.

Ferns don't need this, and I've never done it to crypts either - if a leaf starts to die off then I'll trim it, otherwise the plant will probably take longer to settle etc as it gets (as said) the energy through photosynthesis via the leaves...

Back