• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mosses from AquaticMagic

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Guys,
I've no experience with mosses, primarily because I've never really been impressed with the looks of java moss in the past. The AuquaticMagic ebay shop appears to have some very nice looking mosses which I've never seen before; star moss, taiwan moss, christmas moss etc. These mosses are evidently from China.I've checked Geenline's web page and I don't see this kind of variety. I don't even see their Latin names described on the Tropica website. I was thinking of doing a moss wall but the AquaticMagic portions are listed at a measly 5cm by 5cm. Some people bid these up to $20-$30 per portion.

With high light and CO2 what kind of growth rate can I expect? I'd like to do a 16 inch by 20 inch area without waiting the rest of my life for them to grow in.

Does anyone have experience with any of these mosses?

The AquaticMagic photos look too fantastic to be true. Can anyone post pictures of these mosses from a real tank?

Cheers,

Whilst I have no real experience of moss (well I have Java and christmas moss) you should have a look at http://www.aquamoss.net for some more pictures.

From the little experience I have of xmas moss which is in a low light tank, I can say that I believe it to be a much, much slower grower than java moss. I tied this thing down a month or two ago and it's only starting to look like it's gowing now!!! I can't risk switching it to my higher light CO2 tank as I have SAE's and they ripped my java moss to shreds when I initially tried it in there.

Aquaticmagic posts some lovely pictures - I'd give my right arm for some fissidens fontanus to see how it grows!

I brought some willow moss from them a while back which arrived in very good condition. The portions are fairly small but once they are spread out and tied down they soon fill up the gaps. Java moos IMO is a manky unattractive moss compared to my willow moss. I grow my mosses in my shrimp breeding tank which is lowish light, no CO2 and no ferts and it it grows just fine albeit a bit slow. Christmas moss is supposed to be good for using in moss walls. You'll probably need a few portions if you want to speed things up.

A James tip: Not all mosses attach themslves to wood, etc like Jave moss does. My Willow moss doesn't and needs to be tied down all the time to keep it in place. What I think looks really good is to get a bunch and attach it to an air pipe sucker or similar and stick it to the glass. Do this a few times and you can create a great moss wall and if done carefully it can be done so you can't see the suckers.

James

Ulster,
Thanks for the lead on the webpage. I hadn't even thought about the SAE issue. OK, SAEs are now banished.

James, I totally agree with you on the Java. The mangy look is what turned me off to mosses in the first place. Now that I see that there are attractive mosses I aim to do exactly as you have described, to use the wall for hiding the pipes.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cheers,

Hi Andy,
I have to smile because it seems most everyone dislikes java moss, avoided moss aquascapes for identical reasons, and are now being converted again for similar reasons. It appears we're all of one mind. This is almost like being part of the Borg Collective.

Maybe we are now seeing a paradigm shift in moss application. I'm looking forward to viewing future 'scapes with these new mosses. Aquaticmagic sells the mesh and cable tie kits so I think I'll take you que and order a batch myself.

Thanks for responding...

Cheers,

I have some fissidens in my tank on bogwood. It grows moderately quickly in a DIY CO2 tank. It attaches itself to bogwood and looks quite good.

A few things on it.

It tends to grow/spread downwards quite fast, but not upwards. If you are putting it on a wall or standing bogwood tie it to the top and it will trail down.

It can be a magnet for some algae. Every once in a while I squirt a bit of Excel into the moss to keep it nice.

Currently I am finding little bits all over the tank. I believe that its my SAE knocking bits off - however, the majority of it is firmly attached to the bogwood. Unfortunately I am still finding bits of old Java moss all over the tank... te only thing its good for is my breeding tank :)

My camera is broken atm, but this is a picture of how its growning on a small peice of bogwood in my tank taken on my mobile (hence quality)
IMAGE_005.jpg

Hey thanks Maximumbob. Another GREAT tip. Brilliant stuff. The algae magnet issue is a bit of a concern though. I wonder if upping the CO2 would help in this regard? I agree that this is a really nice effect. It will look spectacular when it fills the whole surface of the bogwood (it has kind of a Sponge Bob effect at the moment - the afro hairdo on top and that knot just below could be his nose/mouth).

Thanks for going through the effort of attaching the picture mate.

Cheers,

Im growing on some christmas moss atm and when I can get a few clumps together Ill pass it on to anyone who wants some

Hi bobtail,
Definitely count me in as one of the interested parties!

Thanks for offering!

Cheers,

Anyonw know the best way to remove hair algae from mosses?

Ive got some good growth now but Ive tried putting it in a blackout box for 3 days to no avail.

open to suggestions?

Lots of people use Seachem Flourish Excel to get rid of hair algae (and to dose their tanks with organic carbon)...

Thanks CJ Ill give that a try, is it powerful in strong doses?

Im wondering if I isolate the moss and locall treat it witha fairly strong dose.

bobtail said:
Thanks CJ Ill give that a try, is it powerful in strong doses?

Im wondering if I isolate the moss and locall treat it witha fairly strong dose.

Yes it is. It can kill shrimp and even some plants.

I find applying the tank calculated dose via syringe, and applying it directly over the moss helps.

I dont overdose unless combating nasty algae. And since i've found that poor CO2 control is the root of most evils i tend to introduce excel at normal doses whilst working on co2 levels.

shrimp that are hungry and in sufficent numbers will eat almost any algae

i have a 2 ft tank with approx 100 shrimp, plants go in there to be cleaned
moss always comes out clean

Back