• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

which rocks shall I use (complete beginner!)

gerlewis

Hi guys, these are 2 rock options I have open to me, both of which I can collect locally from streams, beaches etc.

Do you think the smoother lighter rocks, or the more angular darker rocks would be best? both get darker still when wet too.

Im thinking of mostly having a sandy bottom with some hairgrass etc in the back ground - as its my first tank.
Or with the smoother ones, I could create a totally pebble creation - using smaller rounder pebbles closer to the bottom around the big ones.

Also sand colour suggestions would be welcome too.

Thanks
Ger

I prefer the look of the smoother lighter rocks.
The hairgrass\pebble\sand combo sounds nice as well.
If it was me I wouldn't use too many pebbles, say 3 or 5 large ones and maybe 3 or 5 smaller ones as accents.
Up to you though! I am no hardscape expert, and it is your tank :)

thanks Matt.
Opinion appreciated.

Would I be able to grow hairgrass and some other basic plants in a sand substrate? or would I need some soil in there somewhere too? - im willing to dose the water column.

I would use the darker, i feel they have more texture and thus should look better against the plants.

good luck

gerlewis said:
thanks Matt.
Opinion appreciated.

Would I be able to grow hairgrass and some other basic plants in a sand substrate? or would I need some soil in there somewhere too? - im willing to dose the water column.

Your welcome.

Like Gratts says, you should have no problem growing plants with a sand substrate. My tank currently has plain gravel and I do fine :)

Thanks Adandrews - I guess I will collect a few more of each, decide upon some sand, and maybe experiment with some layouts. I will keep you guys posted on progress. Thanks again

Back