• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60cm - Espei's Escape (final tank shot)

SteveUK said:
Awesome George! You couldn't of asked for a better formation of fish! Have they been training with you at the RAF or something?! :lol:

No, this is just excellent fish selection at play. No training at the RAF with George! Just rasboras being rasboras. One of the best schooling fish around. If you've got good numbers, all you have to do is just approach the tank, and they'll assume schooling formation. My harlequins do this all the time. It is fantastic to watch and great to photograph if you've got the right camera, which I don't, but George does.

The tank is lovely, George. For me personally, I would have something tall for the rasboras in the back, so they feel more secure, but I like their subtle coloring. It goes well with this tank. The rasboras would probably be more comfortable in your crypt tank that I really like, though. That is more along their lines.

llj

One of my faves George :thumbup: The HC looks amazing (what's the best tip you can give to get it looking so lush, green and healthy?) I'm bang into Iwagumi and can't wait to start my 60cm when it comes.

I'm going to have to learn to take some decent photos when mine is complete.

Great stuff!!

Mark

I'm lovin this tank - it's the kind I could sit and watch for hours. Lush!

Thanks, everyone!

Mark - I've grown HC in numerous set-ups and the best tip I can give is to provide plenty of circulation and nutrients, either via substrate or water column, or ideally both. CO2 isn't essential (liquid carbon is a viable alternative) but it will improve growth rates. It seems to thrive with high nitrogen in particular, in case provided by ADA Aqua Soil and my tap water.

I planted just three pots of HC in this, but split them up into individual stems. The stems grow a little leggy at first but pruning them back to near the substrate promotes carpeting. You can re-plant the cutting, of course.

Others have success planting using the 'Tropica' method of splitting pots into clumps and burying them into the substrate with some of the portion protruding. This works well too, but you'll need more pots to get the desired effect and carpeting will take longer. This method is much less labour intensive though...

It's odd that some many UKAPS members have had issues with HC lately, even though they are apparently following the 'correct' guidelines. I do think I am very lucky with my tap water, although I still have trouble growing moss!

Amy - I know exactly what you mean. This tank is in my kitchen/diner and that's exactly what I did!

Thanks, again!

Thanks for the in depth tips for the HC George, very helpful! :D

I hope mine works out I'll be using full ADA substrate system (power sand special, tourmaline BC, penac p & w and aquasoil powder) daily fertilising with easy carbo (no CO2 injection), brighty K, green brighty step 1 and green gain for initial planting and after trimming (had some great advive from Graeme TGM about dosing).

I have a tetratec EX700 because i already had 13mm ADA in/outflow lilypipes although I'm a little worried about the actual flow rate after reading some of the threads here :(
I've spent around a grand on equipment and can't afford another filter, do you think I'll be OK with the EX700??

Wish me tank/stand would hurry up so I can get started!

Many thanks

Mark!

You're welcome, Mark.

All the best with your set up - it sounds fine, including the filter.

I may have saved some cash by not resorting to the full ADA line and gone for a better filter and pressurised CO2, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the investment and the results it gives!

:thumbup: Great stuff....I've gone a bit ADA mad lately through reading on the Aquajournal website. Still a bit weary of using CO2 injection because of my 2 year old in and out of my existing tank cabinet and fiddling with bits and bobs.

I'm thinking by the time I fill my tank (65L) there won't be much water after 11/12kg stone, around 11/12L aquasoil so the EX700 should be OK (hopefully)

I'm going on and on again...sorry!

Thanks

Mark!

myboyshay said:
:thumbup: Great stuff....I've gone a bit ADA mad lately through reading on the Aquajournal website. Still a bit weary of using CO2 injection because of my 2 year old in and out of my existing tank cabinet and fiddling with bits and bobs.
Put a lock on it o_O

Back