• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stringy Algae

johnny70

I have a 50ltr-ish cube, filtration is around 700LPH, light is low at 11w. I feed with 20ml of from [6tsp of potassium nitrate, 3 tsp of potassium phosphate and 12tsp of espom salt mixed in 1000ml water] 3 times a week and the other 3 days with trace from [2tsp trace in 1000ml water] and daily dose of 3ml easycarbo.

I have got some long stringy algae(green I think) coming off the wood, and I can't figure where I'm going wrong, I have removed it manually and cleaned the offending wood to try and help but its a persistent bugger!!!!!!!!!!! plants are all slow growers, anubais, crypts and ferns.

Should I be cutting back the dosing? increasing the dosing?? Lighting is only 8 hours a day, been setup for 6 months-ish

Thoughts?

JOHNNY

Johnny you need to identify the algae. Stringy sounds like a form of hair, which would be CO2 related.

Cheers,

Looking at James Algae guide I'd have to say thread algae, does look like Spirogyra to me :?

anyone any thoughts on what I can do please? I'm a bit lost at the moment :?

Hi Johhny,
I guess I'm confused. Is it Thread or Spirogyra? James is pretty thorough on the suggestions for each in the guide. If it's Spyrigyra you've got major trouble. If it's thread just add more CO2/Excel. Maybe have a look at flow as well mate. Got pictures?

Cheers,

Sorry Clive that should have read doesn't look like spirogyra :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll double my easycarbo dosing see if that helps. Filtration is a Eheim Ecco 2232 and a Koralia Nano. More flow do yu think?

JOHNNY

OK, that makes sense now. :rolleyes: You lucked out big time.
Yeah, flow/distribution is always on the list of suspects. The Excel should knock it back, but long term you'll have to fix flow/CO2. It might be fixed by something as simple as a good trim mate.

Cheers,

Back