• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filters- buying cheap any pitfalls?

Drouthie

Hi,

I would like to get an external filter for my Rio 180L but don't have much money. I hve been looking on ebay and the prices are less intimidating. What do I need to look out for if buying wierd makes or 2nd hand? Is it a mistake to do this? I don't want to come home and find that the livingroom has becaome a marsh and all my fish are dead. Also if they are really rubbish and I'd be better saving my money up and waiting I would like to know.

Any experience/warnings or tips for spotting a good one appreciated.

By buying second hand you do risk leaky valves etc and lack a warranty, try looking for a brand called JEBO, i have seen lots of good reveiws and they are pretty cheap.

You can get a Fluval 205 for £55, or a 305 for around £75.
How cheap are the ones you've seen on ebay?

what is your budget?
There are some pretty cheap filters about. I have bought 2nd hand twice. On my recent purchase (tetratec EX1200) it leaked, however, this was a known fact by Tetra so they replaced it for me with no questions asked!
I had heard of their good customer service so i decided to take the risk.
The other filter i bought was a eheim 2215

Ideally under £50 but I'm probably asking too much, I'll check out those brands mentioned. There are some pretty cheap ones on e bay at the moment but they are still open to bids so I bet they'll go up. I was hoping to keep an eye out for any good deals. I really shouldn't be buying anything but I think I have a fishy addiction :?

Yeh for a filter rated around 1800lph you'll be lucky to get one new for 50quid. I did get a second hand fluval 204 cheap on eBay and it works a treat so it is possible :) guess you'll have to be vigilant and wait for a bargain deal. They do happen!

Alternatively you could get something like a ex1200 and a powerhead for the water flow?

Sam

hi,
i looked at them but bottled out :rolleyes: .asked what they were like and got this reply,
We’ve been selling the filters now for over a year and a half now with not one problem from them so they are very reliable they also come with a one year warranty and we sell all the spare parts for them.

don't know if this is still available but you could ask viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5970

Back