• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP! Lights are gone but I have no spares

fishkeeper

On my 40l, my supafish 18w light has blown. I don't knwo if its the unit, but, I can't find any replacement bulbs or light units, and I really don't want to spend a lot of money on some arcadia arc lights.

Can anyone help? The tubes are 18 watt PL tubes so I am told.

Thankyou for taking the time to link that

I'm not totally sure if it is right because I cant seem to take the bulb out of the unit :(

Does this mean I will need to buy a new unit?

The tube should come out. I've never seen what you have so can't help you on this I'm afraid.

James

Ok,here are 2 pics. Of the light and the fitting.

DSC00418Medium.jpg

On the picture above, you can see where the light has burned out?

DSC00419Medium.jpg

Hope they help

they look like they need alan keys, but in the centre, they have a piece of metal sticking up that stops anything getting into the hole.

Mmmm, dunno. Have you tried gently pulling the tube out?

Maybe someone else who has the same unit may chip in later.

James

I have this light you need a star shaped screw driver, the kind that are used in coputers. they're not cheap but very useful.

Hi fishkeeper.
The screws you refer to are called Torx screws.
You'll find loads of cheap sets of Torx screwdrivers on ebay :D
You can either buy them with a handle on (like a screwdriver) or shaped like an allen key, personal choice really.
Good luck.

Chris.

The right 'key' to unscrew the unit comes with the official replacement bulb, which are available from Aquadistri.
If there is a Maidenhead nearby they should be able to order one in for you.

gratts said:
The right 'key' to unscrew the unit comes with the official replacement bulb
Another case of the manufacturer trying to rip the public off again by forcing them to purchase their products.

Yes the screws are Torx, but these ones with the pin are Security Torx or Torx TR which are more difficult to get, but I have seen them on eBay.

James

Unfortunately the nearest Maidenhead Aquatics is about 2hrs away. I'll have to try and look for the special torx scre drivers on ebay or look into buying a new light unit if i can find one cheap.

Currently a 20 watt halogen desk lamp is over tha tank, the lighting is rubbish and it looks so yellow and dim. Will this suffice until I can get a replacement light?

thanks for all the help

Back