• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 Injection Rate

Peter F

I have recently just added a D&D CO2 systrem to my 180 LTR tank. I am finding I need around 60 bubbles per min to achieve 10 PPM . With the regulator set to 1bar.
Using the calculation prvided by D&D for the size of the tank. I expected 14 bubbles per min to be satisfactory.
However, I suspect the size of the diffuser will also effect the injection rate!

My PH before CO2 on is 7 and after 3 hours is 6 / The water KH is 2

I am awaiting another drop checker and solutions to optimise the CO2 injection but would like anyone to provide me with their experience on nominal injection rates?

Kindest Regards: Peter

You'll find a lot of us are at the 2 or 3 bps, so 1 bps could be considered low. That being said, it's subjective really. All bubble counters are not made equal. Bubble size differs, and it's really just something to give you a guide.

SteveUK said:
You'll find a lot of us are at the 2 or 3 bps, so 1 bps could be considered low. That being said, it's subjective really. All bubble counters are not made equal. Bubble size differs, and it's really just something to give you a guide.

Steve,
Thanks for the reply and reassurance.

No problems :)

Just be cautious and watch your fish. If they seem to be hanging about or lethargic, consider backing it off. You may find you can increase it gradually over several days/a week and your fish become tolerant to the higher levels. It's also worth making sure you still have some surface movement. Whilst this may seem like a waste, it's beneficial for the fish. I find on my 90cm tank I have issues with a lack of surface movement and I can see my fish react when I increase the CO2.

Back