• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2324 Pro filter

Peter F

I have just upgraded to an Eheim pro 2324 external filter. I removed all the filter media/sponges from my existing Ecco filter and filled 50% of the new filter with it the remainder of the new filter was filled with new media.

How long should I wait before I can remove the old filter media for the new filter?

Regards Peter

What's the new media? If it's designed for bacterial colonisation I'd leave it a month before removing the old filter material. That's not based on any referable evidence, just what I'd do. If you want to be cautious, why not remove half of the old media after a month, see how it goes, and then remove the other half a month later?

If the new media you've used isn't designed for bacterial colonisation, then I would keep the old media.

I don't know of a rule of thumb, or any verifiable research done on this matter, so what I've suggested is just an opinion.

How's the new filter? And how was the ecco? - I've got a mate looking at them at the moment - why did you change it?

Best regards,

Mark

Mark,

The Ecco filter was an early version, the only complaint i have about it was the handle broke at the locking mechanisum.
However, parts are easily available and it was repaired for about six pounds. The new version has a a re-designed handle that I have now fiitted. A very quite filter when in use no other complaints about it.

The only rerason I upgraded was to get more flow and get the heater out of the tank. The new filter is doing a good job, its good not to see a heater in the tank, while I'm waiting for the plants to grow1

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea how long the new meida will take to mature, my gut feeling was also a month.

Regards: Peter

Back