• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice from ADA OZ?????????

myboyshay

Hi there,

I asked for some stocking advice lately for a 60cm Iwagumi stocked with embers, otos and amano shrimp,

Our own George farmer recommended:
10 - 15 embers
4 oto
8 shrimp

George ADA retailer Australia recommended:
24 - 60 ember
4/6 oto
as many shrimp as I want

*On the Aquajournal website there's a 60cm Iwagumi and it's stocked with around 45 ember tetra, this is what prompted me to ask the advice on stocking but as LONDON DRAGON pointed out, this could be for the photograph only.

I'm not trying to catch anyone out or be awkward but as you can see there's a massive difference and confusing :?

I love this forum and l recently joined the fishforum/aus because of the link with ADA Aus (brilliant website) but I think there's a lot of difference in opinion (on some things, not all).

I have to say I have huge respect for the founders on this forum (George, Graeme, Dan etc) and they have been extremely helpful and inspirational since I got more serious about the planted tank scene so thanks and I'm going to stick with UKAPS because it's all getting a little confusing.

Not looking to cause trouble just wanted to point this out.

Thanks

Mark!

Hi,
There is no conflict between any of the stocking level suggestions. There is only one imperative related to your stocking level and that is to keep the water clean and oxygenated. So that means you can put 100 fish in there if you want, but guess what? You'd better have Mondo-filtration and/or epic levels of water changes. So how much cleaning do you want to do? 45 fish means lots of maintenance. 15 fish means a relaxed lifestyle. The choice is up to you. ;)

Cheers,

One of the biggest lessons I've learnt in this hobby is that there's no definite right way or wrong way to do stuff.

As Clive has suggested, my recommendations were based on an a typical set-up that I'd personally be happy with. Sure, by all means stock more, but be prepared for more work and expense... :thumbup:

For me, as well as the lower maintenance and cost, I consider a kind of "less is more" regarding stocking fish. A lot of fish is too busy for my liking, but we're all different.

And thanks for the feedback about UKAPS too! It's nice to hear.

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate your expert advise :thumbup:

Common sense really! I really like schooling fish so I'm going to go for the following:

8 shrimp
4 otos
20 embers (they only grow to around 2cm compared tp 4-5cm of cardinals/harlequins so I'll go for 20)

OCD when it comes to water changes so it should be OK with the clean tank.

Once again thanks for clarifying things.

Mark

I think it's purely down to personal choice. Some people might be more interested in fishkeeping, so keep more fish whereas others might be into aquascaping and choose how many they think will look good.

Personally, the way I work it out for small fish such as Tetras etc is approximately 1cm of fish per 1l of water.

Obviously, this is just a general rule but that's what I find is comfortable and looks best.

In this case, I think 20 Embers is a good amount.

Hope that helps! ;)

Back