• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton Crispus Propagation Help Please

Iliveinazoo

This plant has flowered in my tank and I was wondering how easy it was to propagate?
Do you just rub a cotton bud over a few of the flowers?

If seeds are formed should i leave them in the tank or remove them and grow them in a plant tub as you would a house plant?

I've had this plant flower and successfully sow it's own seeds in my aquarium. They simply fall to the bottm and germination seems to proceed within a couple of weeks or less. You could remove the seeds and sow them in warm shallow water if you wanted to avoid that "weeds coming up through the garden path" look though :lol: The critical thing is so sow them fresh, Aponogeton seeds mustn't be allowed to dry out!

Hope this helps

Andy

I'm just quoting here, no actual experience myself.

Aponogeton crispus propagation

Propagation of Aponogeton crispus is normally by seed, but you can also split the rhizome. The flower stalk must be allowed to grow up above the surface. The inflorescence is vertical and can reach a height that exceeds 30 cm. This long stalk gets covered in small white or pink flowers. When you get close to the aquarium, you can sense a sweet chamomile scent. The flower can last for 1-2 weeks. You can use a brush or feather to ensure pollination, and then simply wait for seed pods to form along the stalk. Place the seeds in a shallow tray and cover them with room temperate water. Do not lose heart if the seeds seem dead, because Aponogeton crispus seeds can need several weeks to germinate. The leaves come first and are followed by the roots. When the roots are clearly visible, you can plant the seeds in peat moss and cover them with water. Try to make the environment resemble a watery bog.

Hybrids are quite common in aquarium shops and are often sold as Aponogeton crispus even though they are actually not pure Aponogeton crispus. Aponogeton crispus will for instance easily form hybrids with Aponogeton undulatus. A problem with purchasing a hybrid is that almost all hybrids are sterile.

Reference link... http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/cripus.php

Back