• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats the ultimate shoaling fish?

andyh

Hey guys

I am setting up a 60l and i am looking of inspiration, what shoaling fish should i go for?

I want something special? There seems to new species pooping up all the time and fancy something a little different.

Anybody with ideas, please post links, pics etc? :geek:

Otos, by a long way. I've never seen a fish shoal as well.

Second to that I would say from the fish I've kept are cherry barbs, shoal better than most but guess still not brilliantly.

I also find shoaling behaviour is much more apparent in larger tanks, I very rarely see it in my 60cm.

Sam

Themuleous said:
Otos, by a long way. I've never seen a fish shoal as well.

Second to that I would say from the fish I've kept are cherry barbs, shoal better than most but guess still not brilliantly.

I also find shoaling behaviour is much more apparent in larger tanks, I very rarely see it in my 60cm.

Sam

Sam - good point about the size tank, that's whats a challenge for me! I am thinking along the line of nano fish to give the tank a better scale

Harlequins IMO not my favorite fish but the best shoalers i've seen.

Themuleous said:
In that case I'd recommend any of the boraras species, e.g. boraras maculatus. Lovely little fish, if a little tricky to get hold of sometimes. Not used to death like the ember tetra as well.

Sam

Boraras_maculatus_2.jpg

Is this what you were thinking? I have seen these in local shop Very nice indeed.

i have 12 boras briggitea, they are really colourful fish but should not be kept with other bigger fish - even neons.

when i had them in a tnak with harlequins and neons etc, they just hid at the back by the filter inlets, however since putting them in my 120L shrimp tank, they are fine, bold little fish that use the whole tank.

Tonser said:
Rummy Nose Tetras. A bit of a classic when it comes to the "best shoalers' question, but there's a darn good reason for that ;) :D

Yeah, with you totally, however after seeing these asian rummynose i am quite taken:
sawbwa_resplendens_x.jpg

Nick16 said:
i have 12 boras briggitea, they are really colourful fish but should not be kept with other bigger fish - even neons.

when i had them in a tnak with harlequins and neons etc, they just hid at the back by the filter inlets, however since putting them in my 120L shrimp tank, they are fine, bold little fish that use the whole tank.

Thats good to know, i plan to just ahve one large shoal i assume they look like the the other boraras species above?

Anybody had any of these? Gold-tetras?

Thought they may look cool in a shoal?

gold-tetra-2.jpg

I've got a cracking new shoaling fish arriving next week - Cyprichromis leptosoma 'Mpulungu' - a bit different from the ordinary stuff! :lol: Mouthbreeding shoaling cichlids!!!! :twisted:

mine look like this..

boraras_brigittae.jpg

i know its not my photo but they look odentical really, the males are more colourful than the females but there isnt much in it really.

andyh said:
Tonser said:
Rummy Nose Tetras. A bit of a classic when it comes to the "best shoalers' question, but there's a darn good reason for that ;) :D

Yeah, with you totally, however after seeing these asian rummynose i am quite taken:
sawbwa_resplendens_x.jpg

Wow, can you get them with other words on them, or just JJphoto.dk? :lol:

M

vauxhallmark said:
andyh said:
Tonser said:

sawbwa_resplendens_x.jpg

Wow, can you get them with other words on them, or just JJphoto.dk? :lol:

M

you can get them branded with what ever you want? good advertising! :thumbup:

Nick16 said:
mine look like this..

boraras_brigittae.jpg

i know its not my photo but they look odentical really, the males are more colourful than the females but there isnt much in it really.

Nick, they are wicked!

Themuleous said:
The Cyprichromis leptosoma 'Mpulungu' look awesome!

Cyprichromis_leptosoma_Mpulungu_0004.jpg

Sam

Sam, i am with you totally, they look cool.

This aint helping, to many way cool fish keep em coming! :clap:

Back