• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Holiday Time - Open Top tank?

Nano Jake

I'm going away soon for two weeks and as I have an open top tank I am a bit worried about the water level dropping.

I was thinking about using cling film? or going to B&Q for some perspex to lay on top - would this help?

Any holiday tips??

Jake.

jonny_ftm said:
I use a plexiglas top, it helps a great

The best thing would be someone to level your aquarium. Another alternative is a level controller with automatic refill

The plexiglas idea sounds best, Does it have to cover the entire top? by that i mean do i need to drill holes for the lilly pipe etc.

Nano Jake said:
The plexiglas idea sounds best, Does it have to cover the entire top? by that i mean do i need to drill holes for the lilly pipe etc.
There's no need to ensure it's a real tight fit.

I got an off-cut from my local glaziers for a couple of quid (don't buy full sheets from DIY stores as they can be very expensive).

Score it both sides to required size with a sharp craft knife (using a straight edge) then just snap the waste off. You can round corners using a file if necessary and either file away access areas for equipment or cut and snap them off.

I have gaps around inlet/outlet piping but this does not reduce the effectiveness of reducing water loss to virtually zero. I have them on two tanks permamently and have drilled and fitted a small drawer handle to make it easy to lift the cover from the front .

Glaziers usually supply this material for shed windows etc...

Being from a marine background myself I always used a auto top up. I will be using one permanently on my planted discus tank too (when my tank finally arrives!).

Not cheap but Tunze make a good auto top up:

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=GB ... zeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

Osmolator Universal. Great kit but not cheap!

Just my opinion though.

Dave

Back