• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

carpeting plants in eco-complete

jueloo

Hi all

Im about to do a new scape and would like to have some carpeting plants filling in the foreground. Ive read a couple of posts where people were having trouble growing hc or glosso with eco-complete.

Wondered if anyone with eco-complete has had any success with it. I got some pogostemon helferi from Matt1 and most of it has melted (sorry Matt, they were good healthy plants when they arrived) Wondered if this was down to the substrate.

My eco-complete has been in about 2-3 months. I dose EI and inject CO2. Filter is an Eheim 2026 with a Korali 1 helping out with flow.

Cheers
Julia

While eco complete is a pain to plant hc in due to the particle size, it grows absolutely fine in it in my experience.

I have grown glosso various times with just plain gravel so eco complete should be even better, but I have struggled a few times with HC, never succeeding with it.

Hi,the best carpeting plant I have grown in Eco complete was pogostemon helferi,
grew welll looked great,
john

I planted HC in Eco-complete around 12 months ago and it did fine. This was/is my first so-called high-tech set-up (FE injected CO2/DIY external in-line reactor). The whole of the for-ground was covered by the HC and had to be pruned often as it was growing over itself. That was until I went away for 4 weeks and the CO2 ran out, and EI dosing didn't take place because the person I had arranged to take care of the tank trapped a sciatic nerve. But that's another story

I've grown Glosso very well with eco complete, but HC seemed to have a little trouble rooting in it.
I think perhaps eco complete is little too coarse and sharp for the delicate roots of HC.
To remedy this, in my last tank, i covered the eco complete with a 1/2cm layer of red sea flora base (which has small soft round granules) and the HC grew much better.

Cheers
James

ive got hc in eco complete and its starting to spread nicely now,every now and then i get some lifting due to my sae's rooting around so i just cut it up and re-plant it as plantlets.

ok thanks for the replies guys

I think i will give it a go, and if it doesn't take, lesson learned, try something else. :)

Cheers
Julia

Back