• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sam's 3ft Journal :)

Spanerman

Well heres my new old tank.

DSC_1957.jpg

And the new

DSC_1985.jpg

And here it is with a new home/scape, it had to be done to my mums tastes as i begged for it be housed in the living room! lol.

DSC_2264.jpg

I have more plants on the way and im hoping to upgrade the lighting tomorow, cant wait

What do you think?

Regards, Sam.

haha, it had a horrible book case on it! and its just a temparary mesure untill we buy a 6ft solid oak set up to replace it!

And also it did live in my room, but i had a leak from my external and siphoned 20l of water out of my tank onto my floor and down the walls/ceiling downstairs.

My parents hate me!

Ps. are you from Bridgend? im just up the road from Neath so not far!

Sam.

Nope, i came past you today to go to maidenhead in Cardiff for a browse for new tanks with my rents, was nice to get out as my cars playing up!

Do you have msn?

Nah, don't do that M$N thing.. what was MA Cardiff like? I know the manager and he's offered me a tank or two to scape, but I haven't had time to go there. I'll be doing the Llantrisant branch first. Eventually :lol:

Its rather large, they have a 15x15x5 marine tank with a shark in there! and a rather nice range of cichlids, selection of plants (very limited) but i did manage to rumage through a load of stuff to find a old bottle of tpn+ :)

On that note, how much tpn+ should i dose? the tank is 24g and the lighting will be going up to round 2wpg soon :)

Now that seems too complicated for me, im ok with building stuff but dont ask me to measure out powders lol, il get reading!

Well today i bought a dual 30w starter unit, and a tube, i will be buying another plant growth tube tomorow :)

so i should be close to 60w for my 24g aquarium, it looks like il have to get my co2 up to scratch:)

Spanerman said:
Now that seems too complicated for me, im ok with building stuff but dont ask me to measure out powders lol, il get reading!

dont be scared of EI it really is not that complicated. just pre mixing 3 or possibly 4 powders into storage bottles to dose one or the other daily. (some just add the powder dry) true it does take a bit of time to get your head around but once you understand it you will wonder why you were worried and its sooooo cheap compared to off the shelf ferts! ;0)

there are a couple of good posts here

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13
this is tom barrs write up, possibly more info than you really need and sometimes a bit hard going.

http://www.ukaps.org/EI.htm
another great article by clive.

and obviously you can just ask here if you are unsure and need further advice.

Right, time for some research!

but in the mean time what would be a good way of dosing the TPN+?

tbh not sure if tpn+ is currently the best option for you.
it contains phosphates and nitrates, which in a lower light and non co2 set up, the fish, food and tap water will provide plenty of.

Sorry, i made myself unclear, i was wondering more about the amount of fert i should be dosing...

Sam.

there are isttructions on the bottle i think it is 5ml per 50l of water per week so with out co2 i would reduce this slightley to about 5ml per 60-70l of water. someone else may correct me but from what i have lerned this is what i would do.

Thanks.

Any ideas on what photo period i should be using? im currently at 10hrs per day? is this ok?

I have my lights come on at 8 and go off at 5 so i have 9 hours, i might change the on and off times so i get to see the tank for longer with the lights on.

Back