• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first photo contest

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I entered my first ever photography contest last weekend, as part of my local village show. Entrants were from my village and the surrounding areas.

I was shocked to place 1st in six of eleven categories, with one 2nd place and two 3rd.

The competition was pretty tough with some amazing work. As a first-time entrant I think I may have upset a few including a previous winner who ‘shoots film only’, judging by some comments I overheard…

I didn’t rank at all in the ‘Gardens’ or ‘Architecture’ categories. Maybe next year…

The Woollard Cup is awarded to the entrant with the most points, which was me!

Me and my trophy, to be engraved with my name and year.
trophy2.jpg

And the entries -

Action – 2nd place
action2nd.jpg

B&W landscape – 1st place
bwlandscape1st.jpg

B&W portrait – 1st place
bwport1st.jpg

B&W portrait – 3rd place
bwportrait3rd.jpg

Flora and fauna – 2nd place
florafauna2nd.jpg

Child’s portrait – 1st place
kidsportrait1st.jpg

Local landscape – 1st place
locallandscape1st.jpg

Skies – 1st place
skies1st.jpg

Travel – 1st place
travel1st.jpg

Village life – 3rd place
villagelife2nd.jpg

Wow, George! Your photography really has come on leaps and bounds, there are some absolutely amazing shots in there, it's no wonder you won so many first places!
Congrats mate :D

Wow George those are very nice pics,
I love the bw shots,the one of Florence looks like a silhouette,
john.

I did post on this thread yesterday.But its not here.

Well done mate. fair play for getting out and having ago and doing really well.

I really like the action shot, great colors mate. I love the army picture too, anything with a military content grabs me.

Well done, thanks for inspiring us to get out and doit :thumbup:

Cheers.

George Farmer said:
As a first-time entrant I think I may have upset a few including a previous winner who ‘shoots film only’, judging by some comments I overheard…

Nice one squire!

I can`t get over the snobbery of some people who still desperately hang on to shooting film. Don`t they know that an awful lot of digital people have converted over from film? Personally, I would never go back to film again, having spent several years working with Ilford FP4 and Kodak Ektachrome. The quality of film and slide is undeniable, but the lack of feedback from the camera, and need for a dark room for post processing....uuuugggghhhh!!!

I would love the opportunity to carry out a little photojournalism in somewhere like Afghanistan. I am starting a little personal project over in Toxteth, which is the nearest thing we have to Helmand Province. :lol:

Hands up those who thought this image was B and W?

villagelife2nd.jpg

Awsome stuff George and congrats on winning the competition on your first entry hahaha now all you have to do to pee off the entire village is get 11 1st next year :p :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back