• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

manado in the UK

Check it out - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6316

Looks like it's nutrient-free with good CEC, so dosing the water column would be necessary in high-energy setups.

Pity JBL still don't do a liquid NPK product.

The CEC can't be very high though (like Akadama and Aqua Soil), otherwise it would reduce hardness and pH.

Sounds very similar to Unipac's Aquaclay Ground, but with a nicer colour.

It's price is attractive and worth considering if you're happy with a 'sterile' substrate.

It says "nutrient medium" so maybe it is nutrient rich, but with what who knows. Great price if it is, for 25l.

George Farmer said:
Just remembered this -

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6316

I'm pretty sure it's nutrient-free. However, it's CEC will allow it to obtain nutrients from the water.

Great price, for sure.

Aw yes the search function :D Pity, they would clean up if it did, although the label is highly misleading. Still good addition, might try it myself.

i think it would be a good alternative to tanks with akadama as a substrate.
its worth a try i guess.

ok, as promised an image of the JBL substrate.

this is the only thing I can supply regards to info as i've not used it in a set up yet. The phone is there for scale

jblcomp.jpg

To the touch, it's quite rough, more than ordinary gravel. not the clay like feel you get from NS or AS, but then it does a different job.

Thanks for the photo, thats helpful. So this stuff would probably scratch the glass if you were not careful. The grain size also seems quite small.

zig said:
So this stuff would probably scratch the glass if you were not careful. The grain size also seems quite small.

yeah, I'd be careful, more so than AS or NS which can be thrown about a bit.

it's very fine indeed, probably a winner for HC and fine rooters.

JamesM said:
Chuck some in a glass of water and see how long it takes to settle and clear bud...

done!...approx 1 second to clear. IMO/E any substrate will be clear if you fill slow enough and in the correct manner.

it's pretty clean.

going back to the scratching, I guess it's no different to using normal gravels which you'd have to be careful with.

anyway, I'll be setting up a 35 litre with a JBL substrate system so should be able to report back in a few weeks :D

Back