• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

substrat and corydoras

hashcookie

Seedling
I plan to put a 45 gal. tank, doing lots of research as i havnt kept fish since the sixties. starting at the beginning, i am a bit confused about all the different substrats and the substrats under them. I plan to make the plants the primary consideration in what will be a community tank, but as i wish corydoras to be included, i would like suggestions for a substrate (or mix?) that will be accomodate both the catfish and the plants. Silver sand sounds nice, but concerned this will not be the best for the plants as i have read stuff about ''clumping''. Advice and suggestions please :?:

Using Akadama and have no problems with my corys with it

Corys are by nature filter feeders and therefore need a fine substrate, the finer the better. Cory barbels are sensory organs used for detecting and tasting food particles the use of gravel, even fine gravel, allows food to penetrate between the particles and out of immediate reach of a Corys mouth. This is when the Corys use their mouths and barbels to move the gravel to get at the food. Using their mouths and barbels to penetrate into the depths of the gravel causes friction, which can and often does, cause inflammation to these delicate organs, often leading to barbel reduction and even secondary fungal or bacterial infection.

Quote from Ian Fuller, from here http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/for ... hp?t=11403

I've got pool filter sand in my tank and the colour and texture are great visually. I also have 2 corys who seem to enjoy it.

If you're going planted you could put the sand over a more fertilie substrate to get the best of both for your Corys. But then you get the debate of will it mix up... i just used fert tabs, ferts and liquid CO2.

Close up of Cherry shrimp on the PF Sand.
CRW_3506.jpg

Back