• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

two filter not powerful enoth

naz

im running two filters on my osaka 260l tank,a fluval 405 and a 305 running in to a spray bar along the back wall of tank,but thay dont seem to be cutting it,the flow is not very good,and im not happy with it,iv had to add a koralia 2 in there,to up the flow,dont want it in there,looks ugly,is ther any way to up power of the 405 or 305, or i was thinking of taking the 305, and the koralia out and adding a eheim universal sump pump 1260,has anyone used one of these or do thay think it would be to powerful 2500 lph

I prefer not to use spraybars, take that away and see if you like the flow, also positioning is key, try different positions(hope that didnt sound rude) :lol: and see what works for you :oops:

Adam

Well, not using a spraybar simply because one prefers not to is an unsubstantiated argument. Is the preference based on aesthetic reasons or is it based on poor effectiveness? If it's based on poor effectiveness, then we'd need to understand the configuration and the environmental conditions under which the failure occurred.

Spraybars have been used with excellent results, however they are usually sold in hideous colors and their plastic construction often cheapens the look of the scape. Since we're dealing with art as well as science then the awkward appearance of spraybars is certainly a valid enough reason not to use them artistically, but the OP would be more concerned with the science and application of the spraybars.

Fundamentally, on first look it appears that the flow rate is inadequate according to our consensus rule-of-thumb requiring 10X the tank volume per hour flow rating. According to some of the data sheets I've seen, the 405 has a flow rating of 225GPH (880LPH) and the 305 is rated at 185GPH (740LPH). To be in accordance with the rule-of-thumb, a 260L tank optimally should receive 2600LPH, so there is a shortfall of approximately 1000LPH. The higher the light, the more critical this becomes. Inadequate flow is much more likely to be a contributor to the root cause of the difficulty than is the spraybars themselves.

The following images demonstrates a successful application of a spraybar installation (seen in the upper background of each image) which invalidates any claim that spraybars are ineffective (but regrettably does nothing against claims of hideousness). If flow rate in a tank is sub-par to begin with, then it will be very difficult in general to have success regardless of the type of outflow arrangement. You might be able to eke out a few more LPH by reducing internal drag, such as removing some of the media, or by reducing the tube friction via shortening the hoses, or, by lowering the effluent backpressure by raising the height of the filter relative to the tank's water level.
2254815650038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

2543461600038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

thanks for the replys guys .... is there anyone on the forum that is useing the ehiem universal sump pumps the powerful ones 1262 i think,the one that is rated at 3000lph, or now any think about them'was thinking of buying one,running it to my aqua medic 1000 reator,was gonna get rid of my fluval 305 and use the ehiem pump and my fluval 405,see if that work better,just wanted to no wot thay thought of the sump pump

so a compact 2000+ has two holes in it, inlet and outlet? i have a compact 1000 and it has 1 outlet where i cana ttach tubing but the inlet is a small grill so its impossible.

This might help solve a problem for me.
how do you get the water down to the pump and then from it to the tank. Do you have to have a proper eheim inlet/outlet set?

if someone could post a photo it would be much appreciated.

Nick16 said:
so a compact 2000+ has two holes in it, inlet and outlet?

Hi Nick, yes you are correct there in your thinking.

Nick16 said:
i have a compact 1000 and it has 1 outlet where i cana ttach tubing but the inlet is a small grill so its impossible.

On the compact pumps there are two different types, you have the compact, then you have the compact+

On the compact it is an in tank pump only, where as the compact+ can be used in tank, or externally.

Cheers Gordon.

Back