• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lily pipes, worth the money?

Thats a lot of water to siphon out if the external springs a leak :?

Do lilly pipes alow return water to blast out into the tank? I'd imagine spray bars would be a bit more gentle, especically when housing Discus or something. Or am I way off?

Well, these are all single port outlets so right at the exit point the velocity is high. Some pipes have an upturned nozzle to direct the flow towards the surface. Others are down turned nozzles so you get a diagonal blast. I recall that the fish figure out to avoid the line of fire though so that may not be such a big problem. As Dave and George point out , the visual aspect of their tank configuration is a top priority for them so whatever disadvantages exist are outweighed by the aesthetic appeal of their pipes.

I'll stick with my "eheim garden hose" spraybar look for now until I figure a way to swallow the price of those glass bars. (double gulp):arghh: :arghh:

Cheers,

I would like to know how lilypipes are supposed to attach, are you just supposed to wedge the filter tube onto the glass? Push it really hard and perhaps smash the glass???

I think they have suckers that fix to the outside of the tank, although I could be wrong

the pipe slips over the top of the lily just like how they how airlines do on non returns.
the glass is stronger than we give it credit for. I wouldn't get lily's again though, I'm starting to favour drilled tanks.

My main tank is open topped so I do like the idea of them in that respect. They'll look better than dark tubing and elbows stuck over the tanks metal frame.
I wouldnt want them to turn the tank into rapids though :wideyed:

Bit of an update.

Collected my new filter yesterday Eheim 2026, after a bit of faffing about trimming my canopy i got it fitted.

Boy it's only now i realise how totally inadequate my internal filter was.

Back onto topic though, the inlet and spray bar that come with the filter are dire :(

I wouldn't mind if the inlet matches the type of green found in aquariums, but this huge green monstrosity just has to go.

AE sell a Eheim installation kit 1 & 2.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... cts_id=666
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=1773

I realllyyyyyyyy feel like i'm being taken for an idiot if i buy them though.
i can't help feel Eheim specifically made the stock inlet/outlet look THAT bad so they'd make more money by selling the upgrades :twisted:

So what lily pipes do you guys recommend?
It's mainly the inlet i want out the tank, but as i have Cardinals and Rasboras i'll need one with very small cutouts/holes.

I also like the idea that the holes go up to the water line, as it then pulls the debris from various heights.

So what inlets/outlets are you using and what do you recommend please?

Cheers
Mark

Vase said:
I'm guessing this might be as good a thread as any to post this link.

https://www.pisces-aqua.co.uk/acatalog/ ... _Pipe.html

;)

Nice find :)

£75 minimum is a bit of a downer though, they only do minimum 5m lengths as well, that'd be some shipping bill ;)

But if anyone was to buy some for themselves and have say 1.5m of 12mm clear piping with 3 x 90° bends and an end cap i'd be up fer buying it ;)

Cheers
Mark

No need to apologise mate, that's a great find by anyones standards.

You've also given me the idea of nipping around Athens tomorrow and seeing if i can find some 12mm clear pipe to make me own spray bar :)

Great find thanks :)

Just to correct a previous post:

The Lily Pipes do not 'push water to the surface'.

Because more water is pushed out along the longest cut side than the shorter it creates a vortex at the surface which at the shortest cut pulls the water surface down slightly and then pushes the water underneath the surface which then in turn creates agitaion on the top..

Also depending on where you position the out and in you can get a lovely curcular circulation i.e. ifthe outlet is back corner pointing along the length and the inlet front corner then you get the current moving from right back corner to front right (which can be seen as the CO2 bubbles move around the tank.

As for price Aquatic Magic on ebay sell sets for about £30 which are the ones I use.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

It's mainly the inlet i want rid of the spray bar is pretty much out of sight.

I see they do a pair on the Aquatic Magic store, they're in Malaysia though.
There no where in Europe?

As i say i really like the idea that the inlet has holes up to the water surface, does this really make any difference in practice though?

Cheers
Mark

Phew close call there then.

I was about to order some on-line *gulp*

I think i'll bite the bullet and order a lily pipe set from AE instead.
Anyone tried the cheaper ones from AE?

Clear PVC pipe will "blush" over time under the bright lights, I'd be looking for an acrylic version of the lily pipes.

Mine were from Aquatic Magic as are a lot of the users on here. They are very good for the price.

They don't actually come from Aquatic Magic. When you order things from him the pipes come direct from the glass blower. Postage takes approx 10 days

There are also other cheap sellers on ebay but can't vouch for them.

The there are some budet ones on AE alongside the more expensive CAL and then the very expensive ADA.

Andy

Back