• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Crabs

skinz180189

Read a few differing articles about these. My LFS has some, and so does a friend at work. My friend says his isn't aggressive, and just prunes the odd plant now and again whilst sitting on top of the filter. But I've read they destroy planted tanks and are aggressive to long finned and small fish, plus need a bit of "land".

Anybody got any experiences with them? I currently have a plec, guppies & mollies in the tank I'd put one in. Eventually there will be 2 otos in too when I move to a bigger tank.

They're actually brackish and won't thrive as well as they could, They're nice but can and will destroy a planted tank, they're best suited to terrariums and they're highly skilled anglers, I watched one crab catch and consume a siamese algae eater in a dealers tank so I'd guess they're not fish safe either no matter how amusing they are.

Not as interesting colour wise but more suitable would be micro crabs, they're hard to come by but I've read that they're fantastic little critters.

They are great but unless you have 10 you wont ever see them :)
They also require floating, large rooted plants (where they live)

Back