• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boiling plants

jamesw

Hi there, I have a snail problem that has recently got quite bad! am i able to boil my plants to get rid of the snails that are on them? Or will my plants just die?

:thumbdown: They are so annoying. Snail killing chemicals are bad for plants and sometimes fish arent they? If not i will just have to move my piranhas out of that tank and put my cichlid in their for a while, because they eat the snails if i drop them into their tank.

I use a 5% bleach solution and leave the plants to soak for a couple of minutes and then shore well in a strong debilitating solution before adding to my tank. Although if the plants have alrea been in the tank them its more than likely that their in the substrate

Sometimes if you stop giving the fish so much food it will mean there's less left over for the snails to eat, so slowly they will die off. Or you could try snail traps, or putting cucumber in for an hour or so, then removing when snails are on it.

as voo said, less food and a vacuum as many out as you can, did it for me.

Chris

ummmmmmmm yep. I reckon they would die doing that. Please dont start dunking ya plants in hot water. Just try other methods such as clown loaches but keep in mind they will grow, a plec will also eat them but will also grow, There are other fish out there to surpress the problem to a degree. Try not to go down the chemical root. Its not worth it in long run.

Just guessing but in my experience Lots of algae = Lots of snails. Combat the algae and you will combat the snails.

Why not just get a couple of assassin snails?...cures the problem pretty quickly :D

I've added an assasin snail to both of my tanks, but one snail can only do so much!

I had to clean out some food that was added to my big tank by our unsupervised 4yo... and whilest I was using the length of air hose to syphon it off the bottom I hunted down as many of the pesky little critters as I could see!

I didn't get them all but I made a good dent. :thumbup:

keep at it Bob :thumbup:

short term - rigorous manual removal, combined with and adding no food to the tank - consistently for a couple of days or so works for me.

long term - keep a clean tank - minimise; algae, left over food (not easy with messy eaters), dirty substrate - as these are all food sources for the snails.

please do not boil your plants!

Back