• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Canon speedlite flash gun

John Starkey

Hi all,
here's a question for all the serious photographers on here,my wife says she will get me one of the above flash units,580ex or the 430ex mk 2,for Xmas.being just a serious ametuer would I be any better off long term getting the 580ex as I think the 430ex will be good enough for what I do,
regards john.

Depends on what yo want to use it for really, as for the price of the 580, you could get a basic studio lighting package :geek:

430 is fine john but if you ever intend on buying more than one thent he 580exii is good to go for as it will master other flashes as george has said. The bigger flash also has a longer reach, as tom said it just depends on what you want to use it for.

Kerso is worth checking on prices as thats where I got mine from. he has an ebay shop called flash camera but you can knock some off if you deal direct with him

Thanks for the advice guys,I think the 430 will be ok for me,but having said that I really enjoy macro and would like a ring flash one day so maybe the 580 would be the better choice so I could run the ring flash off it if that's possible,
john.

John,

This thread is spooky! I was just about to type the same question to the guys!

Thanks for beating me to it!

i tried a 580 on my Canon powershot SX1 IS (which i think you said you had owned when i met you at the Oliver knott day) and the difference was really incredible. :D

I think i have concluded that the 430 II would be enough for me though.

Whats the best price you have found? I have found the 430 II for £176 delivered. which seems a good price, if you find it anywhere else cheaper let me know. (if you need the details pm me.)

Hi Andy,
that's roughly the same price I have found it,all camera gear has gone up in price in the last month,
regards john.

I initially bough the 430 but recently added the 580 to my gear. Its more powerful as has previously been mentioned. One nice feature is that the 580 will angle downwards by a few degrees for close up shots. It also has a pop up white reflector for bounce which can be useful.

Hi mark,
what kind of deal did you get?and where from
regards john.

Hi mark,that's a good price,to be honest all. Amera gear has
increased in price the last two months,it's annoying when it's much cheaper adroad,

regards john

buying from hongkong, on mor expensive gear can cheapen things a little. just tell the post man it's a gift, other wise you get stung for tax.

yipeeeeeee my 430EXII has just arrived! Thanks snail mail only a few days late for my birthday!

Just got to work out how to use it now! :thumbup:

Back