• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Regulator -Two washers

jonnyjr

I have just purchased a new regulator and it has come with two different washers, one is the white Teflon type one that i am used to, but there is also a black O ring, I cant imagine them both needing to go on as the Teflon one usually makes the seal. Has anyone else come across this?

Jon

As far as I know, regulators use an o-ring for connection to the CO2 cylinder.

I have a disposable bottle and that's the case. You may need to double check if that's so if you are using a refillable bottle.

If you have any other thread free, may be for connecting a needle valve or a solenoid valve, teflon tape may be for that.

Definitely, you don't need them both on.

BTW, both types of sealing has its own use:

Teflon tape is for tapered threads (BSPT) and o-ring is for parallel threads (BSPP). Tapered threads seal by the contact area between male and female threads and you need the soft tape to fill the gap between crests (tip of a thread). Parallel threads don't seal by means of contact area, hence you need an o-ring for sealing.

Hope this helps.

Ilhan

Thanks for your help, it is for a pub bottle, so has a parallel thread, ill probably just stick with the Teflon washer, and use a bit of PTFE tape for good measure. Open to any more ideas though.

Jon

jonnyjr said:
I have just purchased a new regulator and it has come with two different washers, one is the white Teflon type one that i am used to, but there is also a black O ring, I cant imagine them both needing to go on as the Teflon one usually makes the seal. Has anyone else come across this?

Jon

Dennerle regulator requires a flat washer for a seal to the bottle and a JBL regulator has a "O" ring. On the end of every regulator is a shaft / lock nut which connection to the gas bottle. At the end of the shaft there is a section which actually fits inside the shut of tap on the bottle, the dennerle reg has a small section which requires a flat washer where the JBL has a longer section which goes further into the shut of tap, this requires a "O" ring. As for P.T.F.E tape or thread sealent this used where a permenent fixture ie gas gauges to regulator. The tape or sealent is used to take up the interference fit between the two threads - if the internal / external threads were the same size they would not screw together.

Paul.

Oh, I somehow read your post talking about o-ring vs. teflon tape, instead of teflon "washer".

Using a PTFE tape is not necessary. Using it (even if you apply a few layers and manage to screw the threads) may actually prevent the necessary compression required on the washer for a proper sealing from being applied.

Ilhan

leehan said:
Oh, I somehow read your post talking about o-ring vs. teflon tape, instead of teflon "washer".

Using a PTFE tape is not necessary. Using it (even if you apply a few layers and manage to screw the threads) may actually prevent the necessary compression required on the washer for a proper sealing from being applied.

Ilhan

Well its obvious from my posting that you do not understand - within my posting there was no mention of using P.T.F.E instead of a teflon / nitrile washer or "O" ring. The vast majority of regulators will have some sort of a washer or "O" ring which acts as a seal, without this seal the gases will escape because of the pressure. P.T.F.E tape or thread sealent is used where a permanent fixture is required gas gauges to regulator body or go and have a look a radiator where the water pipes screw in then you will understand.

paul.

Paul,

It was Jon's post that I replied. The post before yours is mine. Jon mentioned using a PTFE. It will make sense if you read the posts from beginning to end in order.

What I wrote was actually confirmatory to your explanation. I tried to state the reasoning why he should not use a PTFE at all. Other than that not that it would just not fit, but also it may be dangerous to try to do so.

Hope this makes sense,

Cheers.

Ilhan

Sorry lee didn't this reply

jonnyjr said:
Thanks for your help, it is for a pub bottle, so has a parallel thread, ill probably just stick with the Teflon washer, and use a bit of PTFE tape for good measure. Open to any more ideas though.

Jon

Paul.

Back