• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhinox 5000

AndyOx

Hi All,
I'm thinking I need to improve my CO2 diffusion, I currently have one of those vortex things you attach to your filter outlet. It does the job, just, though only just at a higher bubble rate and I think it would be better to use a glass diffuser and get better flow out of my filter through removing the vortex.

My tank is 160L (Trigon 190)
pressurised CO2
1.5 watt/gallon lighting. Shortly to upgrade to T5's as the tank is quite deep.

Do you think the Rhinox 5000 is up to the job?

Cheers

Andy

Id say it'll do a great job :D

Don’t spend the money on a huge 5000, get a nano one. I've used a nano on my 250lt tank and I cant find any discernable difference between using it and a larger diffuser. The 5000 would also stick out loads in a 160lt and look ugly in my opinion. You'd probably find the co2 was only bubbling out of 10% of the surface of a 5000, so you'd be paying for something you'd not be using.

This listing would give you a few spare :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Nano-Glass-Di ... 2555bfff8a

Sam

PS - sorry if that sounded like a rant, just the whole 'this size diffuser for this size tank' is a complete farce as far as I'm concerned, unless you’re talking huge tanks (over the 100gl mark and then you’d probably get an external reactor anyway). The position of the diffuser in the tank and to the filter intake/outlet is far more important in my opinion.

That sounds fair Sam, my only observation when using an undersized diffuser is that the bubbles that are emitted from the ceramic disc seem to be bigger and in theory less likely to dissolve?

That's a very good point Dan, and I've found exactly the same thing. With the diffuser positioned below my filter outlet in my 250lt though, I was able to get sufficient CO2 diffusion with the bubble rate set below the 'massive bubble production' rate :lol: but you're absolutely right.

Sam

Thanks Dan/ Sam!
All feed back/ rants greatly appreciated!! While I'm sure I could cunningly stash a rhinox 5000 in the back without it being an eyesore, you'd be amazed what you can hide behind 3x 24"+ Crypt blassii and an Aponogeton species that doesn't know it's meant to have dormant phases :lol: I take your point about only getting bubbles out of a small proportion of the diffuser though! I wasn't sure how accurate the statements about tank size Vs diffuser size were. I've read up about the importance of placement of diffusers and have planned to put it where it will be whisked away by the filter outlet and Hydor Koralia to ensure maximal contact time, but am prepared to have a play around with it and see how it pans out! As you say Sam..... still learning, even after 30 years of fishkeeping!! I've probably bumped into you down at the Goldfish Bowl!

Many thanks

Andy

I often go there, but I do like to go to different places too. Variety and all that and sometimes you pop i somewhere you haven't been in ages and they'll have some plant in that you've not seen before, or been trying to get etc. I'm pretty undisciplined like that :lol:

I'll wager I'm not the only one on here like that too !!

Back