• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 reactor

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
JamesC said:
The Aquamedic uses 12mm tubing connectors btw
Thanks James, doesn't the one you just posted use also? It also says max pump rate 900lph and my filter is 1500lph.

Oh, yes you're right. I just presumed it was the same as mine. I actually got mine from Aquamas who I think no longer trade on Ebay but do have an online shop. This is the one I brought http://www.aquamas.de/products/CO2-...eaktor-fuer-Aquarien-bis-etwa-1000-Liter.html.

My Eheim is rated at about 1000 lph which works just fine. Maybe if your filter is stronger you may need the one you have listed. It's virtually the same except has a bypass so you can reduce flow through the reactor.

James

I'm using the aquamedic 1000 from Steve on a Rena Xp3. Works a treat! Very efficient, i'm only having to run 2-3 bps on a 450l tank.

However, i've had to use hose reducers for it to fit in. The tails are just slightly smaller than a 16mm pipe. I thought i could get away with it by using jubliee clips, but no... it leaked :(

Voo said:
However, i've had to use hose reducers for it to fit in. The tails are just slightly smaller than a 16mm pipe. I thought i could get away with it by using jubliee clips, but no... it leaked :(
Do you find it reduces flow? It amazes me that the Aquamedic 1000 comes with such small connectors that are designed for filters used on small tanks since they claim it's for tanks up to 2000 litres. I would have brought one of these if it weren't for this fact. Instead I had to buy one from Germany.

James

Flow is still good, although i haven't checked it well enough to see how much it's been reduced. It's also flowing through an external heater too. I don't have to bleed it due to excess gas.

It makes a small amount of noise when gas collects at the top, but not much now that i've got it setup correctly. I guess this could be bled off but that means messing around to tilt it. Runs fine as it is - it's not audiable inside the cabinet.

I guess another point to consider would be the positioning of your pipes - is it any easier with pipes at top and bottom, or coming from the sides?

JamesC said:
Voo said:
Do you find it reduces flow? It amazes me that the Aquamedic 1000 comes with such small connectors that are designed for filters used on small tanks since they claim it's for tanks up to 2000 litres. I would have brought one of these if it weren't for this fact. Instead I had to buy one from Germany.

James

im also in the market for a reactor, but again im unsure, much like LD.

any owners of reactors, speak up :D

jonnyjr said:
What is the blue pipe for on this reactor? Is it to bypass some of the water to reduce flow through the unit
Is to release air that builds up over time inside the reactor, so that you don't have to take the whole think apart to get rid of the trapped air.

Sounds like a good idea, shame that chap isn't making any more reactors himself they looked excellent quality. A group buy of clear pvc pipe is in order one day :lol:

i think the problem with buying from abroad is the price of the Euro at the mo, it kinda puts me off.
if there are any decent ones in the Uk for around £50 then i would be open to suggestions. Especially as i have a 400L tank! :lol:

Nick16 said:
i think the problem with buying from abroad is the price of the Euro at the mo, it kinda puts me off.
if there are any decent ones in the Uk for around £50 then i would be open to suggestions. Especially as i have a 400L tank! :lol:

I had the same problem when i was looking. For a decent one on a tank of a similar size i was looking at around £70 after postage and conversion.

Have a look around though:
http://www.aquaticbiotope.co.uk/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=827
Never ordered from them and not sure if they have stock, but it was the best price i found when i was looking.

Or here:
http://www.ultimateaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/CO2__Reactors.html

Hi Paulo, Ive just started using aquamedic reactors and im sure I have them piped up with 16mm hose? im running them off Jbl cristalprofi 1500 filters, so far so good! you know where to find me if you want to see them in operation!

planter said:
Hi Paulo, Ive just started using aquamedic reactors and im sure I have them piped up with 16mm hose? im running them off Jbl cristalprofi 1500 filters, so far so good! you know where to find me if you want to see them in operation!
Thanks mate, thats the filter I have also, but since I only have this filter in the tank I don't really want to reduce flow with a reactor, I might come down to see you sometime mate, I will PM you. Cheers

Hi LD,

I use an aqua medic 1000 on a TT EX1200 and don't have any problems with gas buildup at all but I have removed the bio balls as I found it made a slight rattling noise as the balls moved around inside the reaction chamber. Its running on a 250L tank and has no trouble disolving enough co2 to reach the 30ppm holy grail. The hose tails on the reactor are ever so slightly smaller than 16/22 pipe but I overcame this with a jubilee type clip with a layer of self adhesive thin foam wrapped around the pipe (i.e between the outside wall of the pipe and the inside of the clip) to evenly distribute the pressure of the jubilee type clip, works fine, no leaks. To be honest I can't praise this reactor enough does exactly what it says on the tin with minimal loss of flow (without the bio balls), haven't tried any others though so have no basis for comparison.

Regards, Chris.

How did you remove the bio balls for the aquamedic reactor as the description states it is hermetical sealed, is there a way of removing the top and re-gluing it back together?

Back